PDA

View Full Version : Strange Breathing pattern

B-rad
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 02:02 AM
Hi everyone... I started noticing a bit of a different breathing pattern with my discus.. it started out as them breathing a little heavily at times now all of them are breathing kinda heavy and the only way I can describe it is that it seems like they'll be breathing and every 5-10 secs take a double breath like they're gasping for air... Today I noticed one of them scraping up against a piece of driftwood, and that same one has dark dull colored eyes...

any suggestions??

Aurora
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 02:09 AM
Sounds like gill flukes to me. You treat them with prazi. You can buy that as Aquamaster Tapeworm and Gill Fluke tablets, they are meant to be a good brand.

B-rad
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 02:11 AM
that was my thought too, but they're breathing from both gills.. does that matter??

Aurora
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 02:15 AM
It seems that sometimes they breathe from both and sometimes from one. I think it depends how infested a particular gill is. I'd be dosing for gill flukes though to make sure.

Bill T.
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 05:55 AM
I've just been through a similar problem with mine. They were still breathing through both gills but labouring hard to breath. The "double" breath is prbably a cough as they try to dislodge mucus & flukes from their gills.
I treated with Sterazin intially with limited success and have just finished treating with Prazi which seems to have worked - watch & wait.
Be sure to follow instructions for Prazi, including the follow up treatment, or you may start breeding resistant flukes.
Good luck.

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 07:06 AM
Hi B_rad. Can't add anything further than what the guys have already told you. Their information is totally accurate.