PDA

View Full Version : Blue Rams

Aurora
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 02:01 AM
Hi guys,

I wasnt sure wether this goes in here or in Photo Album, but......

Here are some pics of my Blue Rams I've had for about 2 months now. I was wondering if some other people could post some pics of theirs. I want to know if the large amount of red especially in the fins is because they have reached adult maturity or because I feed them Colourbits 1-2 times everyday. If its the colourbits then Im definately not going to stop, and I recommend everyone feed them :)

Aurora
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 02:03 AM
Two more :)

wild_amazon
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 02:49 AM
Aurora,

Nice fish!!!
Are you saying the color gets better as they get older?
Don't see too many nice blue RAMS where I live. Usually the colour is a bit pale, but I will try colourbits if that helps. Will tetrabits do the same thing? I heard it can change the colour of your discus too.

Aurora
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 03:02 AM
Their the same thing. Their called Tetra Colourbits. The company is Tetra, the product is Colourbits.
Im not sure how much the colour is meant to get better as they get older, thats why I wanted people to post some pics of their adults (preferably not fed colourbits) to see if they are the same or not.

pitchblack
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 03:08 AM
nice looking rams you got there. But whats wrong with your plants looks like mine about a month ago. Do you check for phosthate in the water???

Aurora
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 03:54 AM
Yes I know, the algae is a problem. Most of the plants are permanently stained with it now and you cant get it off. I havent got a test kit for phosphate, but I was thinking of getting something to remove the phosphate from the water.

Del
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 02:05 AM
How big are yours Dave? I cant realy see from the photo.

I have one female about 2.5cms long (my male died) and she is very pretty - I will get a photo posted over the weekend.

She does not seem to like colourbits though I have mixed about half a cup in my BH mix which she loves.

What do yours eat besides colourbits?

flukes
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 08:23 AM
Nice, where'd you get them from..

Aurora
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 08:56 AM
Well with my best attempts to try and measure them through the glass, my Gold Ram was roughly 4cm. I have two Blue Rams that are at least 1/2 cm big than that and the female which is probably smaller. Allowing for error trying to measure through glass they would be probably at least 4cm or more.

They eat anything that I put in there really. I feed them mostly Colourbits, Frozen Bloodworms, frozen and live Brine Shrimp. A couple of times I have given them blackworms and Breeders Premium and they have eaten them all. All my rams are always the first to rush to the food when I put it in.

I got them from Aquariums Plus in Centre Rd Bentleigh. They have just changed over hands, and they got some new fish in including Blue and Gold Rams. So I thought I'd get some. I dont know how many of them they have left now, but they should probably get more in.

I had a couple more Gold Rams in the beginning, but some died. But I brought them on a Friday, and by Sunday two Gold Rams had laid eggs on a leaf! They didnt survive though, but they did it again later. I will probably get some more when they get them in.

WrxAnt
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 08:05 AM
Hey Guys,

I just scored myself a Blue Ram.

Must say its an interesting fish but without a doubt one of THE most timid fish I've owned. Is this normal?

I can see it's colouring but nowhere near as vivid as the above pictures.

It's only been in my tank a day so I expect the poor little fella is a little stress.

I'm feeding colourbits and flakes. But honestly I have no idea what these guys like, are they even bottom feeders?

Cheers
WrxAnt

Dee
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 12:56 PM
G'day Ant,

I would suggest getting another blue ram or two, they like company. I originaly had four, but two died and the other claimed the breeding pot as his turf and would hound the pair when ever they laid. Needless to say he went back to the LFS, I couldn't catch the that one amongst all the driftwood. Maybe try a couple more in there with him, they are pretty cheap at about $10 - $12 each. HTH

Cheers,

Dee.

PS: Nice pick up :wink:

WrxAnt
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 11:31 AM
Hey Dee,

Definitely a nice pickup. Thanks heaps again :D

All the fish arrived home well and are settling in perfectly.

The little ram is just a bit timid at the moment, I'm sure that will improve over time

Cheers
Ant