PDA

View Full Version : cannibalistic babies!

Ben
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 08:18 AM
Hi peoples,
has anyone has there baby discus over indulge in their parents mocous/skin? I just got home from work and my ocean green pair looked not the best, they had droppy dorsal fin. Opun closer inspection both parents were flicking the babies to get them off them!
Would it be that the babies are eating there parents to death!
There would be a lot of babies, i tried counting but there could be more than a 100!
Anyhow i have transfered the parents to a 3 foot tank of there own and seem much happier, even within 30 mintues!
I have been feeding the babies up to 6 times per day, baby brine shrimp and have started to feed them ground up breeders premium dried food, which i have seem them tackle the fine grains of food.
Also i have been been water changing 7 am in the morning and at 7pm at nite, %25.
The babies look very happy a lot happier than the parents!
are a little less than 3 weeks old and about 1cm big
any thoughts or feed back?

cheers,
Ben

Ben
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 08:25 AM
Oh one question, good one for lady red!
is it worth adding some meth blue to the water to stop any fungus infection or dont worry.....?

Ben

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 09:49 AM
Hungry little monsters aren't they Ben. Removing the parents was definately the right thing to do. I wouldn't put anything in the water with the parents just yet. Continue with the daily water changes for the parents, and lots of good, high protein food to allow them to recover.

Congratulations on a big spawn

Ben
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 10:26 AM
Cheers Merrilyn thanks for the advice!
After i transfered the pair they seemed quiet,
but i think this could be due to shock from bieng transfered into a new tank. After about an hour later they started to swim up and down the tank, it was slightly eerie as if they seemed to miss their babies!
I will see how they go in the morning.

thanks again,
Ben

Ben
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 07:27 AM
after 48 hours the pair have settled down and everyone looks ok. Except the babies are moving around like little worker bee's!
will take some pics over the weekend.