PDA

View Full Version : Shopping list: lil help on getting me setup? :roll:

lambo
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 04:16 AM
I need help ppl...i've been told i can put discus into the main tank (was dads, now mine :twisted: ), and have been told to make a list of things i will need to set it up all ready for discus.

So i guess what i need is some thoughts and recommendations on products. Here is my list so far:

Filter (canister prehaps?) the tank is 200liters, mainly upright (hexagona shape)

Heater Brand that's reliable?

UV sterilizer

Medications What type of meds should i chuck into the old med kit?

Water test kit What parameters will need checking?

Buffers/water stuff I got no idea with this stuff, never fiddled with buffers (i'm in melb if that helps)

Other Any stuff i missed that'll be needed?

thanks for the help

P.S: Dad's paying so no need to list the cheaper stuff :lol:

leanne31
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 05:39 AM
Hi Lambo you def want a canister if you want a cheap but good one i have a pro aqua you can get one from age of aquariums for your size tank for $89 there is more expensive brands but i think thats a good one. Dont know about brands of heaters but get a stainless steel one with controls on the outside much more reliable. I dont have a uv sterilizer so cant comment on these. You can add some epsom salts, some fungas ade maybe some tape worm tabs to your med cabinet. You will need to check your ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and you can check for hardness but not essential. Just declorinate your water and age it in a barrel your'll have to check your ph etc but lot of people say buffers etc are no good for discus but you might not even need them. Oh and get a air pump with a airstone and you can get a sponge filter to if you want. Hope thats a start good luck :lol:

Leanne

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 06:51 AM
So, the discus bug finally got ya Lambo. Well, you're in good company :wink:

Filter - well you're going to need a good one, and if dad's paying, I'd go for an eheim. They're quiet and totally reliable. IMO the best of the lot. I've currently got 8 eheims, some of them 9 years old. Never any trouble from any of them. Fluval is another good brand that I've used. Mainly the smaller ones, but still very reliable and quiet.

Heater - tried lots of brands. Probably the one I like most is the stainless steel one with the temp control on the outside. Sooo easy to reset the temp, and no chance of accidental breakage.

UV - not necessary with just one tank. I know you have a small one, and you can use that if you like, but water changes are more important in my opinion. If you want to get a good one, some of the guys on this forum and I will be getting a Coral life Turbo Twist from overseas. Let me know if you want more info.

Storage barrel for aging your water - this is essential. You're going to be doing lots of water changes, and you need aged water. Food grade plastic barrels are available pretty cheap. A pump to get the aged water from your barrel into the tank is a good idea too.

Chemicals - a good dechlorinator which removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia and heavy metals is best. Stay away from pH up or down if possible. The more natural you stay, the easier it will be to maintain.

Meds - have something on hand for fin rot, gill flukes and tape worm and some kind of antibiotic. Metro is best (you need to get that on prescription) or tetracycline, which you can get from your fish shop. The waterlife range of products are really good, and back on the market now.

An air pump with an airstone or sponge filter should round things out nicely.

Dee
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:45 AM
Ditto to what Merrilyn has posted ... great advice. I run two Eheims and never had a problem with either, great little work horses.

Cheers,

Dee. :)

Ben
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 10:20 AM
The great thing with ehiems is parts are easily bought, not that you are going to need them anytime soon!

As for heating try an external one!
Hydor ETH 300w
if the tank is on show no heater is seen.
I just recently bought one through the forum and they are excellent! They keep a stable water temp.

HTH
Ben

lambo
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 10:49 AM
The great thing with ehiems is parts are easily bought, not that you are going to need them anytime soon!

As for heating try an external one!
Hydor ETH 300w
if the tank is on show no heater is seen.
I just recently bought one through the forum and they are excellent! They keep a stable water temp.

HTH
Ben

Do they connect to a ehiem easily? If so that'd be wick-edy-wack!