PDA

View Full Version : Q: Do discus fish vomit?

Bill T.
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 02:51 AM
A: Yes, under some circumstances.
I had just done a follow up Prazi treatment (ie day 7), and the next day I noticed the smallest of my discus blowing a lot of bubbles and then it - puked - what looked like a load of undigested color bits.

Is this related to the prazi upsetting it's gut, overfeeding, or me having just got out of the shower & not yet appropriately clad?

The other discus have become a bit reclusive and very picky with food also.

kkiu
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 03:32 AM
Id say it was because you were nekkid :)

I think vomitting is due to from them over gorging themselves. My smaller ones are alot quicker than the big fish, and gobble the food up very quick.

Its a worry because I can noticably see their big round bellies. I dont think its worms because after a period of disgestion, their bellies look smaller hehe.

With regards to them being picky, i think it might be an effect of the prazi. Ive noticed similar effects on my discus after treatment.
Maybe the meds make food taste different or stress out the fish causing it to lose its appetite.

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 07:00 AM
Bill it's definately related to the lack of clothes :shock:

Make sure you are fully clad before you go near those fish again :lol: it could warp their young minds ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill T.
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 12:54 AM
This morning my fish are looking much better - travelling around the tank, browsing on the substrate, good color & relaxed respiration. I did a 25% wc last night and added 10 cardinal tetras, which I think is giving the discus some reason to live - they are very interested (plus I had my dressing gown on).

I'm just wonderring, should I as a matter of course do a treatment for Hex as none of these fish have been properly quarantined (which has contributed to my woes, I'm sure).

Also, any advice on duration of lighting? My tank is in a shaded area so does not get any direct sunlight - I have the lights on for 5 hours at night

leanne31
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 01:11 AM
Hi Bill if yur fish are doing better and looking fine I wouldnt dose them with metro unless you see any symptons, if theyre colour is off or dark, hanging in the corner, off their food and the most tell tale sign is thick jelly like white poo. Keep an eye on them do more frequent wc if ned be and see how they go. Youve only dosed with prazi so give them a little time to recover. :lol:

Leanne

leanne31
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 01:13 AM
Oh and I dont think tank light is a necessity shaded light and 5 hours a day should be ok unless you want to grow heaps of plants.

Leanne

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 03:29 AM
Hi Bill, it's good to hear that the fish are doing well. Now, you know it's not a good idea to add new fish to an established tank without first giving them at least a two week quarantine, however sometimes things don't work out that way.

The cardinals will act as a 'dither' fish, assuring the discus that everything is right with the world. They seem to work on the assumption that if other small fish are happily swimming in the open, it must be safe for them too.

I wouldn't subject the tank to any further treatments just at the moment. Take a wait and see attitude. Luck could be on your side this time.

Bill T.
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks Merrilyn.
It all started with poor advice from those who should know better (ie. lfs), someone with a little knowledge behaving dangerously (ie. me), and the chance acquistion from a dubious source (would only be willing to tell more over a number of beers at some lonely bar....).

Seriously, at my first attempt I used some angel fish to cycle my tank. I reckon they bought with them a host of nasties that have been hanging around ever since.

Now I'm on a seek and destroy mission - no more weapons of mass destruction in my aquarium!!!