PDA

View Full Version : Eheim wet/dry filter

Katie
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 02:07 PM
Okay now that my 4 discus have me well and truly hooked (and at their beck and call) I have decided to fire up my old 5x2x2 devoted soley to discus (my other is community). What I was wondering was should I drill it and make a trickle system (?) or I was talking to my lfs guy about one of the new Eheim professional wet/dry filters. He seems to reckon that they do as good a job as a DIY trickle without the need to drill a hole in my old faithful. It just so happens I know where I can get a brand spanking new one of these on the cheap, but was wondering what you all think about them? Good, no good? Any sugestions?

DR.V
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 03:32 PM
is Eheim professional wet/dry filter is the one with the heater inside them? If yes, i think its probably is good idea , because if the heater broke , it cost really expensive to fix, just use normal canister filter and separate heater. Cheaper brand is like JEBO , aqua one , etc.

lesley
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 05:56 AM
Hi Katie,

I would have to say not worth the extra. My very expensive wet/dry Eheim (not with heater) is currently sitting under the tank and has been replaced by an old faithful aquaclear which I think does a better job. I am not going to use any canister again.

Anyone in Melbourne who wants one can make me an offer!!

Lesley

Katie
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:49 AM
I am leaning towards sticking with the cannister filters. I have been looking around and haven't heard very much good about the wet/dry filters. I think it will be a case of sticking with what I know works.

wild_amazon
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:07 PM
I have been using cannister filters for many years now. A couple weeks ago I decided to remove a trickle filter setup on 4x2x2 and installed Eheim 2028. I found the trickle filter setup a bit too noisy. I got the filter from overseas since I think Eheim prices is ridiculous here. Never have problem with my cannister filters, don't have to replace impellers even on my 15 years old eheim 2213 cannister.
I never use the wet/dry version but it should work. I don't it's Eheim best seller maybe because it cost more and people dont' understand it. They haven't copied the wet/dry model yet :lol: Some people mentioned that the wet/dry part gets clogged up easily but have not seen it myself. I would think Eheim have done testing on it.
Now, anybody in Perth want to buy trickle filter with bioballs :lol:

ml29
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 05:45 AM
I've got a Eheim wet/dry filter (without the heater). I think they are great. I've disabled the wet/dry function about a month ago as I'm injecting CO2 into my tank for the plants.

Regards

Marvin

flukes
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:13 AM
Ehiem make great products but they are expensive. You can setup a wet/dry with out having too drill your tank. A box over flow or the "S" bend over flow are just some examples of other ways too syphon the water from the tank too the filter..

Katie
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:23 AM
I am thinking about just trying the wet/dry filter. I can get it cheaper then what it sells for (I think I saw it priced somewhere for around $500)
Marvin- why did you have to disable the wet/dry function because of co2 injection? How did you find your water quality before and after? Much difference?

ml29
Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:35 AM
Hi Katie

The wet/dry filter mixes more oxygen with the water than a standard cannister filter. It also helps release CO2 from the water as it pumps most of the water out of the cannister before it fills up again. I would be wasting the CO2 if I kept using the wet dry function.

As for results I couldn't really say as I haven't done any tests lately :oops:

The water and fish looked good when I was using wet/dry function and still looks god after.

Marvin

jim
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 02:37 AM
my wet/dry filter..
bit trouble to start evey time after i clean it

jim
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 02:53 AM
Hi Marvin

what filter media do you use in your Ehiem wet & dry. Do you just use the EHFISUBSTRAT Pro what came with the canister? or you also put some layers of sponge.
I did try to put a layer of spenge on the top..but the canister jam every 2 months...so now i have removed it..and I still use the prefilter till now..and just EHFISUBSTRAT Pro inside the canister..
Was afraid this filter is not going to do a good job as there is no mechanical filter in side the canister..

I am also thinking of putting mimi bio balls on the top tray....what do you thank..

flukes
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 08:16 AM
Will still work without the sponge, just might have too clean it a bit more. I am sure some of the debris will get stuck on bio balls etc...

Also what is that grey container with the air hose coming out of it??

And the black bottle??

Never seen one in action..

DR.V
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 08:40 AM
hmm the black bottle is a UV strelizer ...
the grey bottle is a CO2 ...
I think , heheh is that right ???

do u have problem running the filter each time u clean them ?? hehe do u have to suck the outlet ??

jim
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 07:10 AM
yes you r rite DR.V
it's my CO2 (now replaced with 2x 3 ltr bottle)
and my UV..

In the instruction. It says, after connect all the tubes. Open the inlet first. untill water fill up the canister. After it fill up enough water and stop filling more water. Then open the outlet and switch on the machine. The problem is, the water actually came out from air tube(which feed air into the canister) not outlet tube. I end up sucking the water out from outlet with my mouth.

Last time I tried to fill up the canister before connect to the tubes (like how I used to do with my old canisters). It works. I did not need to suck out the water to get it running. But some water still came out from the air tube.

Well, beside those problem I have. This canister is very very good. I can tell my discus are happier than before.