PDA

View Full Version : OMG They went psyco

AdelaideAnt
Fri Mar 26, 2004, 10:32 AM
Well today my mum decided she'd point to the discus she likes the best, and in her fast pointing motion she sent the discus crazy. For about 30 seconds the discus just went nutz, hitting the lids, smashing into each other, hitting the glass knocking the heater out of its holder. This was soooo frightening to watch, has any one else experienced this?? Before they did it they were happy as anything. I tested the water parameters and they were all fine. They are back to normal now luckily. I think it was just one that got a major freight and that sent off a chain reaction. We should change there name from "Discus" to "Sheep Fish" or "Sheep of the Aquarium"..lol

Anthony :(

flukes
Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:30 PM
I had this problem with my sister, she doesn't understand its not a goldfish and always points and touches the glass. Mine dont go for 30 seconds but because of the swift movement in a planted tank witth driftwood there is the chance of injury. I also had my dog putting her paws on the cabnet and loking in and thought they would go nuts but they actually were curious and swam to greet her.
There is not much you can do but ask everyone to be careful other than that they will just have to get used to human presence.

Scott

Annie
Fri Mar 26, 2004, 06:26 PM
That is a no-no in my house....It makes me wig out too. :D

Proteus
Fri Mar 26, 2004, 10:31 PM
Mine used to do that, but so long as sudden appearances or movements are avoided, they come straight up to the glass...

must be something to do with wanting food.

Annie
Sat Mar 27, 2004, 12:14 AM
I hear that Proteus..when ever anyone comes even close to the tank they are all swarming to the front...it is cute.

Mattzilla
Sat Mar 27, 2004, 12:31 AM
i know this may sound stupid, but i think discus get to know people, or at least the way people move, and stop being afraid of that person.

i know whne i walk in front of my tank i can basically do star jumps and my fish don't really care... but if my friends walk in front of the tank and point or make sudden movement my fish get spooked.

maybe it's just me...but my brother inlaw used to keep discus and he says the same thing

matt

Proteus
Sat Mar 27, 2004, 12:42 AM
Matt... my thoughts exactly...

when my flatmate used to walk past they hid, or gathered towards the back of the tank, now, after she has spent some time watching and feeding them they dont care less who it is...

But, get a stranger inside, and so much for the "Hey, look at my kool fish" they just hide.

AdelaideAnt
Sat Mar 27, 2004, 06:26 AM
yea i agree with that also, interesting 8)

browneu
Sat Mar 27, 2004, 07:24 AM
My wife does the same thing to my fish. My discus will eat out of my hand and as long as my wife doesn't make any sudden movements they will come to the glass for her. But she soon forgets to move slowly and will turn to leave. This causes the fish and myself to go a little crazy.

DiscusMad
Wed May 05, 2004, 03:43 PM
mine follow me around the room from right to left or if i am sitting on the couch beside the tank they move as close as they can get sometimes its funny to watch them fight for the window view lol.

But if my wife comes by they don't care even if she lifts the lid!

I guess they know who feeds them lol