PDA

View Full Version : Tanks in Melbourne

spencer
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 10:29 AM
HI, Can anyone recommend a good place in melbourne to purchase a 4x2x2 tank, Good quality, preferably all glass without paying thru the nose
Cheers all

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 01:20 PM
Mentone Aquarium on Nepean Highway, Mentone make pretty good tanks, at a reasonable price.

spencer
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks Merilyn,
Funny you should mention them, they were the only ones to reply to emails I sent out to about half a dozen shops
looks like they get my business
Cheers Max

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 01:37 PM
Go and ask for Bill (the owner) or Dave, and tell them I sent you. You just might get a small discount.

spencer
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks, Will do
I have the day off tommorrow and not too far from Mentone :arrow:
Cheers Max

spencer
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 05:58 AM
Hi
Didnt get any discount, :cry: but will probably buy from them
Just looking around at a few more places
Cheers Max

pitchblack
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 06:34 AM
down my neck of the woods the same tank sells for 240 bucks. Inculding coverglass and foam. Coburg aquarium. If you ring them and then go to mentone with your price they will either match or beat it. Thats what me and a friend did.

Dee
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 12:57 PM
Hi Max,

I got my 4x2x2 10mm glass tank from Mentone Aquarium for $199 with lids and foam. I cant remember whether it was a special or not. Mentone was the cheapest for tanks that I could find. Good staff there too, always happy to help.

Cheers,

Dee. :)

spencer
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks Dee,
Just waiting on a reply from them and I am going to order it
they quoted $199 for a 4x2x2 but $259 for a 4x2x18" :?:
Cheers Max

Dee
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 01:33 PM
Hi Max,

I would say the 4x2x18" is more expensive because it would be custom built. The 4x2x2 would be a in stock item, they often have them set up in the tank dislplay section there. I myself would go for the 4x2x2 and have the extra space in the tank for more discus :wink:

Cheers,

chrissyoscar
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 04:23 PM
I got my 4x2x2 from mentone and they delivered it with a big chip in it. The guy told me cr*p that they buy glass in bulk and sometimes it has chips in it. If you do buy from them and want it delivered check it out first. Don't make the same mistake as me and purchase the tank without seeing it. I'm positive it was chiped while being delivered but as it was going in my garage i didn't make to much of a fuss about it.
Also there silicon work was lousy.
They are cheap but sometimes there tanks also look cheap.
I've bought a 4x18x14 and a 3x18x14 and also a 30x14x18 which were all great but my 4x24x24 was pretty ordinary :cry: :evil:

Oscar

spencer
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 09:30 PM
Hi Oscar,
I thought the silicone looked a bit messy on the 4x2x2 I had a look at there, it was alll over the glass. Thats why I havent rushed into anything, but I have been getting quotes of $350 plus from elsewhere. Might go have a look at coburg,a previous post mentioned $240 from them

Hi Dee, I will go for the larger tank, gives them more room to turnaround :)
Cheers Max

chrissyoscar
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 11:13 PM
Hi Max

Yeah check out Coburg at least that way you can see if there tanks are built to a higher standard. If they are then the extra $40 for the tank is well worth it.
Another option is the trading post or ebay. You can get a whole setup stand and all anywhere from $300-600.
Only trouble is it could take you a month or two before you see something you really like but if you're not in a hurry then it might be a good option for you.

Oscar

leanne31
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:25 AM
gee spencer its a pity you dont live in adelaide I would never pay $350 for a 4ft, down my way 4fts are around $180 I got a quote from 2 places the other day on a 6ft and they were $240 and $250 delivered and with reinforced glass but the best thing for you to do it keep looking around :lol:

Leanne

spencer
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 01:36 AM
Hi Leanne,
Wow,how far do they deliver? just joking
I will keep looking, surely there is somewhere in Melbourne that has quality without paying a fortune

I have started looking in the trading post now too
Cheers Max

pitchblack
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 03:45 AM
even thought the drive is a bit far its worth the time and effort I have brought all my tanks from there and never had any trouble, their work is excellent thought their fish are sometimes a bit steep in price.

spencer
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:36 AM
Hi Pitchblack,
I think I will take a drive down to coburg this week
All other quotes I have got from other stores apart from Mentone & Coburg have been $300-$400

Cheers Max

pitchblack
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:13 PM
yeah I did my homework when buying every penny helps with this hobby. When you go in there they are preety cool, just mention your other quotes and mabey they will match or beat them. Or at least throw in the cover glass for free.

wild_amazon
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:19 PM
Wow $240 delivered, that's very good price :!:

Ben
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:19 PM
For those looking for standard sized tanks i get mine from Belgrave, Aquatic pets.
Long drive out for most of us melbounians! but a pleasant one.
There tanks are good quality and very well made. They have an add in the trading post. Maybe ask them for a quote on a 4x2x2.
i bought another tank on friday, sigh.....
49 bucks for a standard 3 footer, it has a 4 piece cover glass which i find better than a 2 piece.
But pitchblack is %100 right! you need to shop around for the best deal as any pennies saved means more fish!
Ben

spencer
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 01:41 AM
Hi All,
Hey Pitchblack,
Just heard back from Coburg, they want $270
I think I will just give up and keep an eye out for specials, dont mind paying the money, but dont like to be ripped off either
Cheers Max

Ben
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 02:27 AM
Max, maybe try another avenue, what about glass sellers, some of them make fish tanks.
make a few calls to see what you come up with

Ben

lambo
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 04:05 AM
BUY A TRADING POST......trust me ;)

Dee
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:53 AM
G'day Max,

My 4x2x2 from Mentone is a little messy in regard to the silicon job. I have never had a problem with the tank and I just glued some edge trims on to the tank, which mentone gave me ... the black plast L shaped things. The tank is 10mm glass, dont even consider anything thinner. I had one guy trying to tell me a 6mm 4x2x2 would be fine :shock: :roll: For $199 I doubt you will get any better retail. If you go second hand, make sure you can view it full of water to check for any leaks. I also got a good price on the raw pine cabinet and hood, because i bought it all in one go. :wink:

Cheers,

spencer
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Dee,
I dont mind paying up to about $250, its just for that price , I want it too look good too
My partners father is going to make me a unit for the tank
I have a 4x18x14? at the moment with the black corners, I like the look of all glass
Definately nothing less than 10mm
Cheers Max

pitchblack
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 11:34 AM
just go in there regardless???? bargening with the cash in your hand is more tempting to the shop owner rather than over the phone.....

spencer
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Pitchblack, I think I will do that, the guy on the phone sounded a bit flustered at cobug ,so I might try a bit of haggling
Cheers Max

pitchblack
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 11:44 AM
works every time im in there. Ask for the owner when your going gun hoe with the price it helps. It helped me I got mine $40 bucks off the price. It also depends on what day you rang. I rang this weekend and they are usually flat out so if you can get down there friday or early sat morning.

Ben
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 09:32 PM
Not sure if you are interested in a 2nd hand one, but this one has a few extras!

http://p088.ezboard.com/fboroniaaquariuminteractivepagesfrm3.showMessage?t opicID=4821.topic

ctvu
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 11:33 AM
Hi Spencer

I hope you already got what you want. If not you can give this place a ring, he is a kind of home business he makes cabinets and tanks very good services and friendly. His name is Frank, contact number : 93648420; 0419547764. HTH

ctvu

spencer
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for that
I will give him a call tommorrow
Cheers Max

spencer
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 11:14 PM
Hi ctvu
I gave Frank a call and pick up my tank next wednesday
Thanks for the help
Cheers Max

SV650S Rider
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 02:08 AM
Hi ctvu
I gave Frank a call and pick up my tank next wednesday
Thanks for the help
Cheers Max

Hey Spencer.

How much did you pay and what size?

spencer
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 02:53 AM
Hi SV650S Rider
It is a 4x2x2 at $270
There were cheaper around,but the quality was very suss.
This guy was very helpful
Cheers Max

ctvu
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 03:55 AM
Hi Max

I m glad I can help some thing. when you pick it up you can mention him the computer guy refers him to you. See how you go. HTH

Ctvu

pitchblack
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 06:10 AM
hey guys where is frank located????? Might have been there before just wondering if its the same guy...

spencer
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 06:43 AM
Hi Pitchblack,
He is in Braybrook,
Cheers Max

pitchblack
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 07:54 AM
thought so, is he still running his shop out of his garage. I used to go there to get fish and purchased some lights off him years ago. Has he got any good stock or plants????

spencer
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 06:50 AM
Hi Pitchblack,
Yes he's in his garage,not much sock fishwise,didnt see any plants
I think the main business is tanks and stands
Cheers Max