chris
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 08:17 AM
something Different

goldenpigeon
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 08:25 AM
very nice is it a gold ram?

chris
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 08:37 AM
Yer it is a gold ram well thats what I call it.
The LFS calls him a Butterfly Ram.
I recommend these guys with Discus they Keep to themselves.
Ive got a pair of males they fight all day, Its very hard to get pics there so quick, the other one looks better this one has been bashed a little.

weird
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 09:28 AM
I dont think it is butterfly ram, which is also known as a bolivian ram ... they are much whiter in colour with a black band across the eye, and redish fins ... also bigger and said to be more robust than other rams.

I have a bolvian ram in my discus tank ... plenty of personality and prepared to go one on one with a dicus even though they are 1/8 the size.

Nope , that is a golden ram. They are pretty cute.

weird
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 03:12 PM
Well I got 2 of them today. Not for my discus tank, but for another tank I keep in the same water condition.

Boy, I think I am in love. At one stage I was thinking about electric yellows ... but I am not use to keeping higher ph so thought I would stay with south american cichlids ... well to me these guys are my electric yellows ... they are beautiful.

Has anyone got any info on these guys ? Are they indigenous or bred to be this colour ?

Proteus
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 10:58 PM
get some eartheaters... you will be really hooked then...

weird
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 12:55 PM
I can see it happening Proteus ;)

Blue Rams are next on the list.

From my reading Golden Rams are actually derived from German Rams ... so don't actually appear in nature.

A few pics

DR.V
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 02:08 PM
is that your house or your pet shop? heheh
how come all the lights are blue ??

weird
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 02:09 PM
Its my house, I took the picture with the lights out ... the blue background of the tanks gave it a batman feel which I liked ;)

DR.V
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 01:12 PM
Cool , i like it ^^

flukes
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 09:51 PM
Hehe Nice effect, more to the point nice rams..!

lovenotthrowdiscus
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 08:47 AM
i hadnt really ever taken much notice of these
gold rams before. nice!
usually i have just been interested in blue rams.
thanks

sharn
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 10:21 AM
i prefer golds myself and would have a few if our stocks in NZ were better and they all didnt die :( i love the nice purple-blue they get on them in certain lights, very nice fish ya got there

marg
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 11:33 AM
Love the first Picture.,

Regards,

Marg.

eatoff182
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 11:09 AM
I have a blue ram in with my discus + bolivian ram.

quite cool little fish!

hootie2s
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:27 AM
Yep, gold rams are line bred as are the balloon rams in both standard and gold :? Dont know why...standards look stunning too.

Can be touchy at times like alot of dwarf species. Sex is determined by pH which can make females harder to get at times. Top bloke here bred them for years and has given me some pointers as the ones I had often sucumbed quickly after appearing fine for a few months..very rapid decline when they go fins up :cry:

The butterfly or bolivian "ram" is similar in shape though tends to be larger and hardier....males are stunning under the right conditions and again fenales can be tougher to locate at times.

If I can get my pair to sit still I will hook up some pics.

Cheers,
Brett

*Chris*
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 10:49 AM
the only problem these days with rams is that they have been so line bred that genetic problems such as tb are becoming a very common accurance
tuburculosis causes the fish to become extremely dark blood shot fins and bubbled out eyes most people miss diagnos it as dropsy but it is actually a genetic problem.
i was lucky enough to see some wild caught rams the other day and boy were they the best thing i have seen in ages
i actually thought they were hormone fed but they actually came from glesser
in germany

they were simply stunning ill try and get a pic for everyone
cheers
EXAI

Ben
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:05 PM
get some eartheaters... you will be really hooked then...

Best not too.....

I have 5 geo species now.... :lol:

Nathan
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 07:43 AM
yea i like the geos aswel, a pitty about the lack of tank space, o well!