PDA

View Full Version : pink angels

giorid
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:12 AM
Hi guys,
Just thought I'd shock you all and direct your gaze to a video on utube of gm angels with more colours to come, what's next.

joller
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 08:02 AM
i personally think that this is a good thing, i fully understand anyones opinion that this creatre is an abomination.

but in a 'logical sense' gm fish will reduce the ammount of animal cruelty due to dipping and dyeing because its more commercially viable

besides its human nature to ruin nature

Red Tail Shark
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:52 AM
link would help i cant find any pink angelfish

joller
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 05:25 AM
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Fluorescent-Pink-Angelfish-Developed-by-Researchers-in-Taiwan-2.jpg

i think they have some sort of jellyfish gene, can't quite remember

AliH
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:59 AM
How do they achieve this?

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 08:54 AM
several ways generally the spice in a gene from another species into the embryo of an anglefish.

these fish are beyond GM they are true transgenic having DNA from entirly diffrent species

joller
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
hmm i think the photo i posted is actually dyed angels, this photo is the modified angels

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/08/article-0-15E37E51000005DC-668_634x380.jpg

Mattzilla
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:38 AM
i kind of like them... the second pic anyway

FinVision P/L
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
think these pink angels are fish from Taiwan, the same fish farm that developed the Glow in the dark angelfish. I think the glow feature was achieved via splicing a jellyfish gene. The Glow gene was developed in much the same way as the pink variant, using the same base fish, were they bred into the host fish no pigment at all and basically transparent. From then they did their magic. A fish without any pigment is the same as using a fresh canvass for a painter. You then have full control of your desired outcome. One would think if they can do pink pigment from some unknown host gene and have the ability to make them glow from a splicing of a gene from a glowing jelly fish, then any colour is possible, they just have to find a host that will express the desired colour and splice that gene into the embryo of the non pigment angelfish recipient
This post has been edited

Ghoti
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
Much as I like them (second version), methinks the cost would be way outside the reach of the average aquarist.

Any ideas what prices such fish command?

Cheers,
Scott

FinVision P/L
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:33 PM
Scott I am not sure what the cost is,but what I can tell you is that they cant be imported into Australia because Bio Security Australia will not allow GM fish to be imported

Red Tail Shark
Thu Nov 29, 2012, 07:56 PM
so would they breed ? and what would they throw if they did lol come on jothy your getting slow in your old age !!!

PS off topic anyone got some platinium Angels for sale

Mattzilla
Fri Nov 30, 2012, 03:24 AM
I had some neon danios a couple of years back... same principle as the pink angels... genes from jelly fish etc

they were supposed to glow under a black light but i never tested them. they just looked good

yeah Jothy.... where the bloody hell are you?

FinVision P/L
Fri Nov 30, 2012, 07:26 AM
[quote="Red Tail Shark"]so would they breed ? and what would they throw if they did lol come on jothy your getting slow in your old age !!!

Hi, they are only selling sterile Glow fish, not sure about the pink variants avalible fertility state, but the fish farm in question keeps a good supply of breeding stock. They are breeding them and they do throw the same trait

ILLUSN
Sat Dec 01, 2012, 07:48 AM
theres no reason they would not breed true unless they were chemically treated to destroy the reproducive system (the correct doses of hormones could do this by destroying the reproductive cells in the fish).

DNA is DNA regardless of species, if its spliced into the fish, so long as none of the genes that cause reproduction are inhibited they will breed.

Judging by the apperance of these fish they carry a double dose of the stripless gene (hence clear gill covers) Cal we have fish that are homozygous for this trait (your koi fry and a few others), if you wanted to get a pure colourless fish we could do that by crossing in the albinos but we wont be able splice in any genes, my lab isn' equipt for IVF style work.

Mattzilla
Sun Dec 02, 2012, 07:41 AM
theres no reason they would not breed true unless they were chemically treated to destroy the reproducive system (the correct doses of hormones could do this by destroying the reproductive cells in the fish).

DNA is DNA regardless of species, if its spliced into the fish, so long as none of the genes that cause reproduction are inhibited they will breed.

Judging by the apperance of these fish they carry a double dose of the stripless gene (hence clear gill covers) Cal we have fish that are homozygous for this trait (your koi fry and a few others), if you wanted to get a pure colourless fish we could do that by crossing in the albinos but we wont be able splice in any genes, my lab isn' equipt for IVF style work.

lol

Spirit Lady
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:09 AM
Interesting angels, they do seem to look like pink blushing's. It's truly interesting and they look amazing, though on the other hand not a fan of GM fish.