PDA

View Full Version : Live bloodworms

DR.V
Wed Apr 06, 2005, 12:22 PM
When feeding breeding pair with live bloodworms , is it safe to just feed them directly ?? Dont they contain some disease ?? How do you prepare live bloodworms for breeding pair ??

Thanks

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 06, 2005, 12:57 PM
I've never seen live bloodworms, could you be talking about blackworms. A lot of breeders are using live blackworms to condition their breeding pairs. The main thing with blackworms is to make sure they are fresh and cleaned in plenty of running water. They die and pollute the water fairly quickly, so keep them in the fridge. Make sure the worms you feed are still a good dark red colour. As they die, they turn pale. Don't ever feed pale worms to your fish, or you will be asking for trouble.

I personally don't feed them to my fish. I still believe they are responsible for gill flukes. Others will disagree, and that's fine. This is just my personal opinion.

DR.V
Wed Apr 06, 2005, 01:01 PM
Oh yes , its blackworms.
I just read a lot about live food given to breeding pair . What other live food do you give to breeding pair ??
Thanks

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:00 PM
I prefer to feed a variety of frozen foods and dry foods, with an occasional feed of live brine shrimp or mosquito lavae.