PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

chris
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 09:24 AM
Every now a then usually a day after a water change, my water turns into a white merky colour :!:
The fish hate it the PH crashes there eyes go all white(they look burnt), they still eat but turn a bit skittish.
Why does this happen :?:
I change 30% water once a week I let the water age for 2 to 3 days in buckets treat it with clorine remover I use a bit of geo liquid.
Ive had great results with this method but, i hate seeing my fish tank looking shabby with all the effort I put in.
I reckon its the Adelaide tap water, I can accept this :!:
but whats going on with the merky water :?: :?:

DR.V
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 09:30 AM
Check this out :
http://algone.com/cloudywater.htm#whitecloudywater

leanne31
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 09:30 AM
gee I dont know Chris I use only adelaide water as well not ro and my water is really good not murky etc and I even add geo liquid like you do and its fine do you do all the usual tests etc and you say it only happens occasionly does it happen after you clean your filter out

Leanne

chris
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 09:42 AM
Dr V and leanne, thanks for your replies,
I did add some carbon into one of my cannister filters and some ammo gone.
leanne you may have seen this at Reynella Aquariums on the odd occassion(the white cloudy water)
I use strait Adelaide water only.
I thought it may have been the clorine coming out of the tap, killing the bacteria, sometimes the waters got really strong smell of clorine, and we drink the stuff.

leanne31
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 09:51 AM
I only use straight tap water and mine doesnt go like that but now you say about reynella aquariums I have noticed a couple of his tanks on the odd occasion having cloudy water maybe you should go in and ask simon what may be causing it. I do wc every 2nd day but i know simon only does his once a week like you this may be a coincidence but who knows but if I can remember I think I've only noticed the cloudiness on his gold fish tanks and the tank that holds those big eel things in it. Do you check your ammonia etc when this happens to you and have to ask a silly question you dont wash your filter out in the tap water do you.

Leanne

chris
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 06:21 AM
Hey leanne,
Yes I definately wash my sponges in old tank water. My PH I always dropping though, I should check my GH sometime soon, Im looking to maintain it with shell grit as you can see on my other post.

leanne31
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 06:37 AM
Well if you dont have a test kit I suggest you buy one and check both your gh and kh before you put the shell grit in it but apart from that I dont know why its happening to your water and not mine and i only live 10 mins down the road from you.

Leanne

Kaza
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 07:33 AM
Simon told me the otherday that Adelaide water is s*** at the moment. He had quite a few discus with gillfluke due to the water.
I think you are lucky leanne. I have spoken to so many people who have lost discus due to the tap water. Only the other day I was talking to a guy at Simons who said he lost a couple of thousand dollars worth of fish within one day due to the water. I felt really bad he had tears in his eyes. Personlly I would go RO the price is only $230 and the peace of mind is great. I set mine for gh 6 and kh 3. Mine breed in this and as you know my babies grow well in this. My unit has a carbon filter so the water is always nice smelling and clean. Sometimes you can taste and smell the clorine in the water. I think it is a matter of time before trouble strikes.

Chris sometimes I used to get cloudy water after cleaning my filter, but it didnt affect the fish. I think yours is def a water problem. Go RO and filtered tap

kalebjarrod
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 08:56 AM
from what i am lead to belive it is an unfortunate fact that ocean liners have two ports in the world they don't take water from.

one is in the middle east (it tastes like ####)

and the other is Adelaide........... (it taste no better)

i went to Adelaide once and had a great time, but there water tasted like pee

Go buy a RO unit

leanne31
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 09:25 AM
Thats real funny to read that Ryan I use straight adelaide tap water and at least my fish dont have fur like yours do. :lol: :lol:

Leanne

ps for people that dont understand that read ryans post on beef heart recipes. :wink:

kalebjarrod
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 10:12 AM
yes its true

my fish have fur

yet my dogs swim in tanks

.................. go figure :wink:

seriously though

Adelaide water can only get worse after NSW and VIC "Rape" it (sorry for the use of that word in this example but it is the best way to describe it)