PDA

View Full Version : Fungus & treatment

Dave76
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 06:43 AM
Hi All

Have a Rose Red that over the last week or so has developed white cotton like fungus on it's body (see pic)

Fish is in a 29 gal with partner on shared system with 3 other pairs in their own 29gals.

Ph : 7.4
Am : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : <3
Temp : 28C

I've done 2 60%ish water changes (Tues & Thurs) and added salt 2tsp / 10 gals.

Any thoughts on other treatments & whether I should do the whole system - or remove the fish and treat separately - could be a bit tricky - short on spare tanks atm....

Thanks in advance

Dave

Ben
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 06:47 AM
Dave, bieng a fungus i would have to say the best bet would be PIMAFIX.

there is a little bit of info:

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category37_1.htm

HTH,
Ben

leanne31
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 07:11 AM
Ive always had very good results from fungus - ade as well.

Leanne

DR.V
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 07:12 AM
Yep those MELAFIX are good ... I always remove the sick fish and treat separately . Raise the temp to 30C . If you dont have a spare tank just put them in a bucket , just make sure u put a heater and a aerator . Water change every 2 days .Thats what i did .

DR.V
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 07:13 AM
Ah , If you dont remove the sick fish , other fish might be affected too ..

Dave76
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the quick replies

I've thought of a way to bypass that one tank in the system - so will remove the healthy fish to isolate the sick one.

I've got Pimafix here so will give that a try.

Will let you know how I go.

Regards

Dave

Dave76
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 08:13 AM
I decided to treat the whole lot - I think one of my whites may be coming down with it as well - very hard to tell on a white fish tho.....

Regards

Dave

leanne31
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 08:18 AM
Thats probably the better way to go anyway so if any of the others are coming down with it as well it will fix them up too.

Leanne

Kaza
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 10:32 AM
IMHO I hate melafix and pimafix, I dont think it works and using it for a prolonged period kills the good bacteria. I agree with Leanne I would use fugus-aid, salt and raised temp.

Dave76
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 04:22 AM
Hi all

after 5 days of 30deg & pimafix as per instructions, no signs of fungus at all. Colouring is back to normal on the fish.

She isn't eating much as yet tho, but hopefully is on the mend.

Thanks all for advice.

Dave