PDA

View Full Version : Automatic fish feeder...

Ben
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 05:23 AM
Hi Peoples!
I have had a good look through the net looking for an auotmatic fish feeder that can feed small amounts up to 6 times per day.
Are these available?
The most is up to 4 times a day.
Also i have never used one, are they any good?

cheers

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 05:44 AM
yes they are good but the food needs to be replace every day as it rots. otherwise they are very handy things to have. them most feeds i have ever seen them do is 4

weird
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 06:31 AM
Are you sure you really want it to do that many times ?

6 times dry food a day is pretty boring, and if your on holidays best to cut down on feeding or not at all for short periods.

Ben
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 06:42 AM
Dave, My thoughts were to feed some young 6 times a day over the weekend as i work a lot.
I would use breeders premium. But through out the week there would be a lot of variety.
I would not want to stunt the young by feeding them once early in the morning and 15 hours later once again. I would only use the feeder 2 days per week. What do you think?
cheers,
Ben

DR.V
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 07:05 AM
I got some that can feed six times a day , but only dry food. I put tetra bits and its adjustable . So you can adjust how much food will be fallen . I only use them if im going away ... Just make sure u got a good quality battery though , dont get the one in $2 shops

Ben
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 07:11 AM
Dr V what brand is it?
cheers,
Ben

DR.V
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 07:15 AM
I got 2 brands
Ai.M and Aquar Line --> not famous brand ^^
But works alright , got spare 1 if you want

weird
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 09:49 AM
Sounds fine Ben ... thought this was maybe a permanent feeding solution or you were going on a 2 week overseas trip or something.

Autofeeders are great and alot of fun to setup ;)

Merrilyn
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 12:20 PM
A number of people use auto feeders with great success. Proteus uses them on some of his tanks. He might be able to give us some more info. on the ones he uses.

Proteus
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 10:22 PM
I use the Eheim auto feeders on all my tanks...

EXCELLENT...

In regards to the food rotting comment, that is not correct (not in the Eheim anyway) the food remains fresh, and never blocks.

Expensive, but worth the peace of mind, it allows for four seperate feedings, either one or two rotations.

kalebjarrod
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 09:18 AM
I use a automated feeder and i LOVE it

it is used through the day while i am a work and feeds three smaller meals

i then come home and feed my B/H mix and what ever else i please

the best bit is i can go top work and know that my fish get feed, i can go on hoildays; ask a mate to feed them; and know if he forgets that the timer won't

THE BEST THING I BOUGHT

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category61_1.htm

ON SPECIAL FOR $45.00

Aurora
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 01:39 PM
I know that they feed 4 times a day, but how long does the food in them last? Like if you went on holiday, could you set it to feed 3 times a day for 2 weeks for example? ie. how often do you have to refill them?

Dee
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 02:21 PM
G'day Proteus,

Do you know where I can get a Eheim auto feeder and how much they are ? I can't find any online and my LFS dont stock them :roll: How do they attach to the tank, cilp on the side i asume ?

Thanks in advance,

Dee. :)

kalebjarrod
Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:48 AM
i fill mine maybe every 4-6weeks if i fill it

i tend to just add smaller proportions though so i can keep the food fresh :wink:

you could easy go away for 4 weeks though

africandiscus
Tue Apr 05, 2005, 01:15 AM
Eheim is not good with tetra bits. Great with discus premium

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 05, 2005, 04:57 AM
Hi psx2 can you explain what problems you found with tetra bits in your eheim. Was the granule size too large?

Proteus
Tue Apr 05, 2005, 06:16 AM
um 3 of my Eheim's are loaded with Tetra Colorbits mixed with Breeders Premium... never had a problem or blockage... and the fish love it.

they know, to the minute when it is about to go off, all 14 in one tank assemble directly below the opening...

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 05, 2005, 06:39 AM
LOL can you get a pic Ro.

Proteus
Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:16 AM
I will try.... just when I am around they follow me thinking they might get something better (BH or Bloodworm)

wild_amazon
Wed May 04, 2005, 05:42 AM
I am looking for automatic feeder that can feed pellets twice during the day (not every 12 hours), probably 12 pm and 3pm. The cheaper ones I think only feed evey 12 hours, has anyone tried this brand?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4377948421&rd=1
The cheaper one is like this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4377939932&rd=1

Also can this fit under an average tank hood, if not how do you put yours.

goldenpigeon
Wed May 04, 2005, 06:16 AM
any ordinary auto feeder will do that. they r designed so that you can programe how many feeds you want

wild_amazon
Wed May 04, 2005, 08:41 AM
So even a cheaper brand like resun feeder (non digital) can be programme to feed my fish twice a day at 12 and 3 PM? Have you used it yourself and how is the quality?
Also does it fit under an average aquarium hood?

goldenpigeon
Thu May 05, 2005, 06:50 AM
... i have only ever used a digital 1 but i would assume that u can programe it? i would certainly think you could because you might not want the fish to be fed in the mornings ect. you can get a good digital 1 for about $45 so i would go with that. also dont get 1 to cheap cause things that r really cheap tend to just stuff u around. have you looked at any models yet?

wild_amazon
Thu May 05, 2005, 07:46 AM
David, I assume you are talking about the EHEIM copy as shown on the link. Is it reliable and do you use it on regular basis? I might get the digital one although it's not going to fit under the hood.

goldenpigeon
Thu May 05, 2005, 09:15 AM
yes im talking about the computer controled 1. it is excellent. i dont use 1 anymore but i would definetly recomend it. the digital 1 is a very small unit if you didnt know. (does a great job) it should go under the hood

wild_amazon
Sat May 07, 2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks David. I'll get one, my discus only get 2 feed per day now. I like to feed them during the day too.

dcarmau
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 03:01 AM
I'm sure I saw a couple on eBay saying they'd feed up to 6 times a day. However I'm spending lots of money on other things for my tank at the moment (Plants, Fish, CO2), and thought "maybe one day"

samir
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 06:06 AM
you will be best off buying the eheim from APW, they are made in china now and the quality is not as good as the original german ones, but still your best bet

endless
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:10 AM
i have the eheim copy and it hasnt missed a beat since i bought it. the only problem is that i need to refill it every 2-3 days as i feed quite heavily. other than that no problems at all and definately worth every penny