PDA

View Full Version : Weird water changes..

flukes
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 05:36 AM
I had this problem a while ago but it just seemed to fanish.

I did a water change last night with aged water, HEATED (learnt my lesson) and aerated, it was 6.9 when i put it in and when i tested today it was yellow which is 6.0 but could be lower as thats the lowest it goes. I was wondering what could be doing this?? I am unsure but i was wondering if i used a discus buffer would it still keep or whatever is bringing it down IN the tank, would this over power the buffer??

Scott

luvfishies
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 05:42 AM
Test some tapwater that has sat in a glass for 24 hours. Also, test the KH of the tapwater, and aged tapwater. Often, aged tapwater will change pH. Usually nothing to worry about, if you have enough container space to age your tapwater in.

flukes
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 06:35 AM
The water change i did last night was aged water. My tap ph is about 7.2 then after aging it comes down just under 7.0, 6.9 to be exact. But there must be something in the tank bringing it down to 6.0, but i cant see what. There is no peat, and there are no buffers used. Just a dechlor. There is a bit of driftwood but not enough to bring the ph down to 6.0. The only other thing i can think of was those rocks i put in. I found out that these are fake rocks, ie some metal then coated in something to make it look like a rock. Well anyway i am lost for idea's other than using a discus buffer but i am wondering if what ever is in the tank will still bring the ph down even with the discus buffer.

Scott

luvfishies
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 07:27 AM
Is the dechlor you're using Amquel? In soft water (low KH) it can and will cause a pH crash.

Also, nitrATES over 20 ppm or so will also cause the pH to drop, as it is an acid.

flukes
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 07:52 AM
ahhh well i dont have a nitrate test kit, but if i did a water change which was larger like 40% the nitrates would be at a low wouldn't they?? and wouldn't big large enough to change a ph 0.9 in 24hours could they??

The water conditioner i use is ACN water ager.

Scott

Mel
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 03:21 PM
Hiya

My water is very soft here with GH and KH at 3.I have to do WCs at least every two days to avoid a PH crash.It stays stable for two or so days but will start dropping if left.The water is first passed through a HMA/CBR2 water filter which takes all the nasties like chlorine, chloramines, lead, copper etc.So no need for any store bought dechlors.The water starts out at 6.5-7ph but after 24 hrs aireation comes out a perfect 6.5ph.

But fluke you must get a nitrate test as its very harmful and will stunt growth, cause cloudy eye and all sorts of lumps and bumps.

HTH

Mel

flukes
Thu Mar 25, 2004, 03:53 AM
shall do today. my kh and gh sit at about 2. but yeah i do, do water changes every second day but they are starting to stress out the fish because of the differnent ph.

Mel
Thu Mar 25, 2004, 09:48 AM
Have you tried daily water changes instead. I personally do 10% per day in the big tank so that i don't have to do such a big waterchange every second day.Hopefully your PH in the tank won't drop as much in a day.

Mel

flukes
Sun Mar 28, 2004, 07:11 AM
Iam doing daily water changes now, i finally got my drum going so that heating and aerating 200ltrs at a time but for some reason i get cold spots in the container? I thought the air would move it all but i might need a power head to churn it up a bit..

Back to the discus they do seem happy with their fresh water and the ph well its climbing slowly which is good, cause i didnt want to hit them with a ph swing of .8 in one day. So hopefully thing will be well. Thanks for the suggestion Mel there is more work needed from me..

Mel
Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:39 AM
No worries Fluke, It took me long enough to get it right!!

All the best......

Mel