PDA

View Full Version : My Angel pair finally have fry!

Apistoguy
Sun May 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
Hi all

Hopefully Im not jumping the gun here, anyhow I think my angel pair have finally got things right. They have continuously been laying eggs for a few months now and each time they have eaten the eggs after a few days. On a few occasions the eggs got to the wriggler stage, but then they would be eaten. The last time they laid eggs they got to free swimmers (just) and then they started picking them off before my eyes, frustrating! So I am pleased to find that this time all seems to be going well....touch wood. The fry, 150+ have been free swimming for 3 days now, happily taking microworms & live bbs. Mum & Dad have finally done it, so fingers crossed that they now have a chance to grow up.
A few average pics of the proud parents below.

Male = Marble? Got this guy of Jothy a while ago and he is a big boy now.
Female = ????? Not sure what she is, just silver with black bars.

cheers Apistoguy

Mattzilla
Mon May 21, 2012, 12:45 AM
well done

yeah they should be ok now but you never know. sometimes they will still eat them after a few days when they want to spawn again.

this can sometimes take a long time to figure out and sometimes they figure it out straight away.

Looks like you have very little airation going. that's good while fry are very young but if they have been free swimming for 3 days you can up it a bit for them. don't pump up too high though

good luck with them

Mattzilla
Mon May 21, 2012, 12:47 AM
oh yeah male is marble (maybe with some koi in there) and female is silver zebra

you have crossed a striped gene with a non striped gene which can produce some undesirable traights like broken bars. Not the end of the world though

ILLUSN
Mon May 21, 2012, 01:50 AM
Thant male fish came from you Matt, its one from your 2nd koi marble spawn back in the days of your tocantin pair.

Apistoguy
Mon May 21, 2012, 02:24 AM
well done

yeah they should be ok now but you never know. sometimes they will still eat them after a few days when they want to spawn again.

this can sometimes take a long time to figure out and sometimes they figure it out straight away.

Looks like you have very little airation going. that's good while fry are very young but if they have been free swimming for 3 days you can up it a bit for them. don't pump up too high though

good luck with them

Thanks Matt, will increase airation a little.
All is still going well!