PDA

View Full Version : discus water conditioning

j fish
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 03:47 AM
I have a 70gal tank,am trying my best to provide my discus the best possible care .does or can anyone tell me the simplist way to condition the water with out all the fancy stuff pet stores try to sell, one frind told me about blackwater extract,is this any good? thx j fish

DiscusMan
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 06:03 AM
The Answer to the question depends on what the water is like where you live.

Generally i would say that Discus water needs to be within the same old specs that you will find in multiple places on this forum.

Temp around 29-30 Celcius
PH around 6-6.5
And soft water of low GH and KH. Not zero just low.

So depending how bad your water is from these conditions effects how you do things. Revers Osmosis i beleive is used to soften water that is really hard out of the tap, or tank water.

The cheapest way i have found to make a change to your water is Peat Moss. Fish shops sell this for a lot of money. Woolies or safeway also sell it for a lot less. Place a good couple of hand fulls in an old stocking or other holding bag of your chioce that is fish safe( stocking is boiled in water first ). Then dangle this bag in the corner of the aqaurium. OR some people actually put the peat moss into the filter itself. Peat moss will turn the water a lovely brown color, not so bad you cant see your fish :D . But all the peaty goodness will flow through your water and the discus seem to enjoy it.

Pool acid is what i use to lower PH in my water 15ml treats about 200 litres from 8.5 ph to 6.5 so its damn strong stuff and at like $15 for 5 litres will last for ages.

I buy bulks amounts of water ager to remove chlorine but i am now able to store my water in a large tank, and i beleive that chlorine evaporates from water after about 2 days if it is left with an air stone running to turn it over.

So peat moss, water ager and ph down. Perfect 8)

I have been told a lot recently about Geo-liquid. I have been told it works really well. I havent used it but i am thinking about giving it a go soon.

Good job of researching before you go and spend a fortune thou :wink:

Hey everyone will use there own system and its what works from them. I told you what i do. So take advice on this with that in mind. My dad changes his tank with water made up in a bath tub. Some people will think that is very bad. But hey hs fish are really healthy and breeding away, so go figure.

DiscusMan

j fish
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 03:28 PM
thx to all, so far my little babies are doing fine. will
try the peat,thx again for the help.