PDA

View Full Version : F1 Manacaparu Redback angels with eggs & now FRY!

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 18, 2012, 02:13 PM
Hi all,
just a few quick pics of my second pair of F1 Manacaparu from Kath
I'll leave the eggs with them tonight and move them in the morning to a hatching tank[/code]

Nev
Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:38 PM
Great pics, my favorite type of angels, wild variety.
Good luck with the fry.

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 18, 2012, 11:43 PM
Thanks Nev,
eggs were gone this morning, I guess just too much competition the tank, next time I'll have to pukll them as soon as Dad's done his job.

Mr Wild
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 12:45 AM
Way to go! I got them going too but the Surinems I never could any luck with them? They are my fave (as you know).

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 01:51 AM
I've got a pair that like to hang out and clean stuff but they never lay eggs,

I'm actually thinking of moving the last 6 redbacks to dads place and bringing the 5 surinams home to condition up for breeding (Dad only feeds once a day and only feeds dry food with freeze dried black worms 1-2x a week).

I could even move on the last 6 redbacks as now i have 2 pairs but i'll have to think on that one.

My MASSIVE Altums dropped vents last night so my pair is definately a boy and a girl, but still no eggs.

LEG-IT
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 02:48 AM
:o Dont sell the redbacks! if you need another tank i have a 6foot if your keen? its got weir and fully sumped, heater etc. You can take and use it for time bein till you get more tanks sorted?

Then get brians St isabel's :lol:. Did you end up getting that WC male from perth?

Whats in the DT now?

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 05:14 AM
It's not tank space, its pyhsical space thats the issue. The new fish room is only 60% the size of the old room , with a few new L number colonies and some new domestic angels on the way i need to rationalise the stock.

Display tank is still empty i need to finish the lighting and plumbing in the RO and waste system. I'm hopeing to have it up and running next weekend. i'm going to stock it light, 10-12 altums 3-4 Leucosticta's and a couple of hundred tetras, I'm thinking of moveing in a trio or 2 of 134's or my colony of 66's but still havn't decided the last thing i want is Leuco's chowing down on L number fry.

LEG-IT
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 05:31 AM
why breed domestics when you got these wilds to play with :lol:

stock it lighty with 12 altums! haha Did you end up catching the leucos from the 3d background?

scrap the L's and throw in some longnose juvies or royal whips instead.

Talking about space should see the pergola me and dad built, when you come down you'll see its massive, All my empty tanks are outside :lol:

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 05:39 AM
why breed domestics when you got these wilds to play with :lol:

stock it lighty with 12 altums! haha Did you end up catching the leucos from the 3d background?

DOMESTICS PAY THE BILLS! it's easy to sell a couple of hundred domestics @$3 a fish every week, also if you can get $5-8 for something rare like a super veiltail or pinoy then it add's up.

Wilds are always going to be a niche market, general people want something pretty for a comunity tank, crazy nut jobs like us enjoy wilds. I'm not expecting to have much demand for redbacks that arn't red from the general public.

12 altums in 1100L isnt going to be hevily stocked, especially if 2 fish are constantly out in breeding tank :)

LEG-IT
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 06:36 AM
haha nice, maybe i should stop being a slob and breed something easy like endlers to fund my tank lol.

I keep thinking your tank is 5x2x2! Now that you put it that way 91 litres per Altum seems pretty decent! Time for Wild discus now?

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 26, 2012, 01:21 PM
UPDATE!!!!

Pair 2 have spawned again this time well over 200 eggs!

I've pulled the eggs and they are now in a hatching tank, hopefully they're fertile.

Mattzilla
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 02:07 AM
nice one mate

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
Well done Jothy. But you know we need to see photos. As they say, 'it didn't really happen unless you've got the photos' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about doing a week by week photo shoot of these babies. I love to see them sprout their 'wings'.

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:20 PM
LOL point takem Merrilyn,

latest batch of eggs were infertile, will have to try again next time looks like from the 10 fish i have 3 pairs. will make sure I have week by week pics once i get some fertile eggs.

Still a little worried, none of the adults ahve developed any real red on their heads or shoulders, at best I guss the fry will look like nice silvers.

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 09:38 AM
after a few months these little guys are staring to take shape.

Introducing my F2 Manacaparu now 20c-50c size

joller
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 10:55 AM
do you knw why the eggs where infertile? thats weird that 2 pairs would be infertile

good work

joel.

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 12:12 PM
wasnt the pairs, it was the water, moving the eggs to a tank filled with rainwater fixed the issue. still had ~20% infertile, but after removing these and hatching in meth blue I havn't had anyother issues.

I guess the GH of prospect was just not right for Manacaparu egg development and hatching.

joller
Sun Nov 04, 2012, 10:18 AM
after a water change and a bit of frozen brine shrimp it appears that 2 of my red backs are pairing up, judging by the territory they've chosen i won't be able to remove the eggs but i'll let you know if anything eventuates

seems like one of the smaller peruvian angels isnt happy about it but he's standing his ground :P

LEG-IT
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 02:12 AM
Hey jothy,
How's everything? hope everything is good on your end!
Think its time for an update on all the angels (altums especially) and the earthies!

Jono :lol:

ILLUSN
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 11:07 AM
Hi jono long time mate
F2 manacaparus are ready for sale with great shape
altums doing ok i lost 12 i have 4 left now.

the oly earth eaters i have left are my agros

LEG-IT
Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:39 AM
Hey jothy,
yea its been a while only got the marine running now, new setup soon
oh good to hear about the manacapuru's, sorry to hear bout the altums though mate!

Thought you got a few tocantins back from pat?

ivo
Sun Feb 24, 2013, 08:17 AM
Well done Jothy. What an excellent work you did. What other type of angels do you currently breed and sell?

ILLUSN
Sun Feb 24, 2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks Jono, yeah got some tocantins back off pat butt no luck lost the lot.

starting to think that species is extinct in sydney which is a real shame.

Hi Ivo, the only angels I have now are altums and Manacaparu, my surinams are at dads place.

taking a step back from breeding as work has gotten crazy over the last few months.

ivo
Sun Feb 24, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hi Jothy, you are so right breeding and raising frys is very time consuming. May I ask what happened to your altum? It's cool if you don't want to talk about that.

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:46 PM
one by one over a period of 5 months they seemed to contract a swim bladder infection that destroyed their equilibrium, i tried every drug i had to treat the tank i even tried injections into the fish but nothing seemed to stop it. such a shame as it was the biggest that died first some were over 15 inches tall.

Time has gotten the better of me with me working 6 days most weeks and 9-12 hours a day as my project goes into the last stages so I might try again later but nothing anytime soon.

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 02:05 PM
Hi all,

these little guys ar all grown up now and ready for sale, the smallest is a healthy 4ch bodylength (-tail). all in all from the spawn I got a total of 18 good fish, some have their flaws, one is missing the trailling front fins (i wont be selling it) and one has an incomplete gill cover on 1 side.

I got the camera out and snapped a few photos, here they are before I move them on.

the lighting is full spectrum LED made by me, 6500k whites with clusters of royal blue, deep red and turquoise

here they are with the flash on

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 02:08 PM
here they are without flash which better shows the real colour

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 02:13 PM
and here they are with the images tweaked a little to try and show how they actually look in the tank, these images have been through photoshop to have the contrast adjusted and a sharpen to try and take the edge off the lack of flash

scott bowler
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 03:48 AM
nice fish mate hope you move them

ILLUSN
Thu Jul 11, 2013, 12:23 PM
Update time,
I'm going to try to keep this updated as they grow up.
these are some that I sent to Dads planted tank for safe keeping they share the tank with my Surinames.

i noticed something tonight as I fed them, it looks the little ones are going to develop more colour then their parents ever did (fingers crossed)

ILLUSN
Thu Jul 11, 2013, 12:25 PM
a couple more

FinVision P/L
Thu Jul 11, 2013, 09:19 PM
Nice pics