PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria

chris
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:35 AM
Can Bacteria be maintained in a tank with gold fish and an internal filter with gravel bottom :?: With no heater :?:
Im asking this question because I have a 2foot breeding tank, with goldfish in it, but Im not ready to use it yet :?:
Would it be ready to go if I keep it like this for a few months then turn the heater on and stick a pair in it :?:

DR.V
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:36 AM
bacteria can grow in non-heated water for sure .

DR.V
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:37 AM
ah ... also make sure you maintain the good bacteria inside the filter , or add CYCLE when you ready for the pair

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 12:36 PM
Absolutely. Just make sure they are healthy gold fish, and not so called ' feeder fish' which may carry disease.

Fishpimpin73
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 04:24 PM
Although you CAN keep goldfish in a non heated aquarium....

Bacteria grow at an extremely slower rate and it takes longer to create a stable ecosystem.

The most important thing to remember with gf tanks is WC frequency.
Goldfish naturally produce an ammonia based enzyme that can have adverse effects on your bio filter.
GF also produce copious amounts of waste that also can inhibit the growth of bio bacteria.

The key to healthy GF tanks is frequent water changes, and very careful stocking.

HTH

flukes
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 01:03 AM
I wouldnt risk it, when your ready too put discus in their ditch the gold fish and do a fishless cycle..... Alot safer and gets you off too a flying start.