PDA

View Full Version : Ageing water

Del
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 09:50 PM
I haven't aged water before, so I thought I'd give it ago (as don't want to keep using PHDown).

Well at 8pm last night I filled a bucket with 7.6PH tap water and put my bublewall in there for aeration as well as my (very technical) stocking filled with 3tbs of peat. This morning it is still at 7.6PH.

I didn't put any "AquaPlus" in and there was no lid. I also haven't bought another heater yet - it is on the shoppng list today.

Please - what am I doing wrong?

Fishpimpin73
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 10:43 PM
It would appear that your PH from your tap is stable.

I would let the water sit for a full 24 hours and check again.

If still no change occurs, double check with a diff test kit.

If results are the same after two diff tests, then it is safe to run with the idea that your PH is stable at 7.6.

I would recc that you throw a powerhead or a pump in the bucket rather than just a bubble wand. ( o2 exchange in water takes place at the surface, unless your wand is kicking out ALOT of bubbles it is prolly not working effectively to aerate the water.)

JMHO

Proteus
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 10:52 PM
Because of how soft Sydney water is it will take 24-48hrs before it drops, but it will drop.

You really do need to add the AquaPlus now, as aeration does not remove the Chloromines

Del
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 03:36 AM
a powerhead or a pump in the bucket rather than just a bubble wand.

Fishpimpin73 - Being new at this I am not sure what a powerhead or a pump is... Do you mean an airstone? What size should I get? The pump I have is a STELLAR 230w, 5v - is this maybe not powerful enough?

I am going down to get a heater and a 60 litre water aging tank tomorrow so I can start doing once a week 40% water changes - or maybe 2 x 20% water changes.

Proteus - Are you saying that AquaPlus is best added at the start?

Sorry for being a bit thick...! :?

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 10:34 AM
There's no such thing as a stupid question Del. I think proteus means it is ESSENTIAL to add AquaPlus at some stage, before adding the water to the tank.

Ask to have a look at a powerhead when you go to your local fish shop. It simply pumps water without using air bubbles, causing good circulation in your ageing tank. You can still use your Stellar pump, but it will be better with an airstone rather than the bubble wand.

Keep asking questions. That's how we all learn.

flukes
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 11:46 AM
When i first started out finding out the ph change after aging, I left a class of water out for 24hrs and a bucket with airstone for 24hrs. Out of the tap it was 7.4, the cup after 24hrs was 7.0 and the bucket 6.8. I do think the airstone and circulation helped...

Just a little test too do.. Alot easier than using ph down...

Even if the aging doesnt change your ph of 7.6 i wouldnt be adding ph down, better too be stable.. Unless the water will be used in breeding tanks you may need tooo lower it a bit.