PDA

View Full Version : my wild caught cuipeua

nevsfish
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:05 AM
hi here are a few bad photos of my new cuipeua discus.they have only been in my tank for 2 days so i expect them to colour up in a few weeks.

swifto
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:14 AM
Not bad,gr8 work keep it up.

m.ingram
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:29 AM
Really Nice Discus

boxters
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:43 AM
Oh stop rubbing it in

iro11a
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 10:05 AM
Very nice wilds.

Ghoti
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 10:30 AM
Great fish there Nev.

I'm also interested in your substrate - would you mind telling me what it is?

Cheers,
Scott

nevsfish
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 10:36 AM
the substrate is pool filter sand from clarke rubber stores $14.00 per 10 kg bag.it makes a great substrate because its courser than normal sand and has a natural look.

swifto
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 10:37 AM
Great fish there Nev.

I'm also interested in your substrate - would you mind telling me what it is?

Cheers,
Scott

+1 for me as well

Ghoti
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
the substrate is pool filter sand from clarke rubber stores $14.00 per 10 kg bag.it makes a great substrate because its courser than normal sand and has a natural look.

They must have different suppliers. I got pool filter sand from local Clarke Rubber and it was $20 per bag and a lot darker. Thanks anyways.

Hooked
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 03:01 PM
Very very nice Nev,

Great looking fish!Its a great looking set up and the substrate really seems to make those colours pop.
I've only ever had bare or the "usual" style of brown gravels, larger grit type that are readily available. I really like the look of that sand you have. Are there any draw backs to using a sand type over a gravel? When you vac does it swirl and drop like gravel or do you have to do anything different to stop it from being sucked up?

Cheers

nevsfish
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
yes such a fine substrate does have its drawbacks .when cleaning the tank some of the filter sand does get sucked up.i just bought a extra bag and top up when need be.the natural look is more work but the wilds love the fine substrate its awsome to see them blowing the sand when they look for food.i dont mind the extra work as the wilds are happy and that makes me happy.

Discus Planetarium
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:50 PM
very nice nev very nice

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 24, 2012, 06:46 AM
Beautiful fish. How about full tank shot. I love wilds.

nevsfish
Sat Mar 24, 2012, 08:04 AM
two bad tank shots .my fish room is narrow so i cant take very good full tank shots.sorry this is the best i could do.the tank has only been running for two months so the floating amazon frogbit has not covered the tank yet.

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 24, 2012, 08:14 AM
Good looking fish mate. You've chosen well :P

nevsfish
Sun Apr 01, 2012, 08:14 AM
hi everyone here are the cuipeua nine days on.i think the reds are very nice give me your thoughts.

Ghoti
Sun Apr 01, 2012, 12:32 PM
hi everyone here are the cuipeua nine days on.i think the reds are very nice give me your thoughts.

I think they'd look heaps better in my tank :lol:

Droolworthy fish there.

Cheers,
Scott

HUN
Fri Apr 06, 2012, 05:05 PM
Hi ! have just buy two smaller Cuipeua , in quarantine tank one have gill fluke and tread with prazi it look ok now, eye turn to red and less stress bar,there like beef heart but not touch tetra bit yet , Nev is your eat Tetra bit yet? here some photo
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h418/hunyoong/IMG_0697.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h418/hunyoong/IMG_0699.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h418/hunyoong/IMG_0706.jpg

nevsfish
Fri Apr 06, 2012, 08:41 PM
hun they look very nice where did you buy them from.please dont feed your cuipeua tetra bits it will turn them a horrible unnatural orange colour.i feed sera discus granules ,beef heart mix and freeze dried blackworm.

HUN
Sat Apr 07, 2012, 04:37 PM
Hi ! Nev i bought them from Richmond i guess they are from IA , i tough tetra bit are enrich of their red, after research for the wild water , background and light is more important , the white sand and light you have might be the best.

Exotic Aquatic
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 10:58 AM
Yes those are from AI, any store can order them.

Not advised to mix into other tanks. Best kept has Lawrence has done... NICE JOB mate! I have some far better Dwood for that tank, stop by and have your mind blown.

nevsfish
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
hey adrian long time no speak.how is it.good to hear you have lots of driftwood i am after large pieces of manzanita.branch type looking pieces about 60 to 90 cms long .if you have something like that can you post some photos because the small pieces dont look any good in such a large tank.i am askin because it is a long drive for me and would like to see photos of the larger stuff before i come up.thanks

lou1
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 08:47 AM
stunning fish

Nev
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 10:55 PM
Ok,
Why don't my curipera look like yours?
I'll post a pic when l can get a good shot, but basically mine do not have the dark halo yours are showing.

nevsfish
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 01:32 AM
my cuipeua are wild caught fish, are yours from exotic aquatic(forrest fish)if so they are tank breed they lose the halo when tank breed for x amount of genarations.the more genarations removed from wild parents the less the halo shows.but there can be exceptions.

nevsfish
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 01:36 AM
forgot to add in my avatar is my female curipera(cuipeua)that i got from adrian it shows no halo because it is tank breed.

Nev
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 02:52 AM
Thanks for that, explains it all.
And yes from Adrian .

Exotic Aquatic
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 06:04 AM
Plenty of pics up on facebook in several post (just scroll)

www.facebook.com/exoticaquatic

If anyone is after any wilds, i am looking at ordering in the next 24 hours so please email. Keep in mind these will not be cheap as im not importing them myself, and i wont be able to hand select this week as we are flat out. So whatever arrives is what you get unfortunately. However they will be from Aquarium Industries who are supplying just about everyones wilds right now. so likely will be the same as what you see on threads like these.

they have tefe, orinoco, and one or two others. All german import wild caught. Estimated prices will be $200-$400 a fish.

Nev
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 02:21 PM
My not so wild curepera. Apology for the quality - phone pic http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k608/Nevdenton/2012-04-10160327.jpg

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 11, 2012, 12:59 AM
posts removed

keep it civil please people or I'll have to bring out the angry stick

HUN
Wed Apr 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
As i know AI have some wild that sold to Richmond fish shop early march , i seen some very nice all been on hold,Lucky still managed to get him reserve two for me but my friend get one that are not chosen[he's not satisfy of the shape . Btw i don't agree that F1 will loss the halo cos F1 that second hand pat in SD still have the halo.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?90896-Wild-F1-Cuipeau-Fry-Group/page14 :twisted:

nevsfish
Sun May 27, 2012, 03:42 AM
hi all here a couple of photos of my wild caught cuipeua about 1 or 2 months on.i am very happy with the way they are looking and have became so tame that they feed out of my hand.