PDA

View Full Version : Cat Fish

DR.V
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 05:10 AM
What sort of catfish would you recommend for a discus planted tank ?
Does bristlenose catfish eat plants ? Im thinking to put some bristlenose catfish into my discus planted tank, what would people think about this ?

Thanks

leanne31
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 05:20 AM
I have 4 bn catfish in my tank and they are excellent, they dont eat any of my plants and are so interesting to watch. I also have corydoras and up antil the other day when he died I had a flying fox catfish in my opinion they are all really good. Theres probably plenty more that are just as good but these are the ones I have. :lol:

Leanne

DR.V
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:17 AM
Thank for the info Leanne. Anyway I already 2 gibicep catfish in the tank already, but they dont seems to eat the algae on the back wall. So im thinking to add a couple of BN catfish.

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:26 AM
Bristlenose are great cats. Give them a piece of driftwood to chew on and play around, and they will be very happy.

Ben
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 09:11 AM
want an algae cleaner? go for the otto's! look a bit similar to a flying fox. stictly algae eater!

duck
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 12:01 PM
You be hard pressed to find something to eat the algea off the back glass.
I had siemase alge eater he got agressive with age, but did not touch the back glass.
I have BN do a good job but not the back glass.
I have ottocinclus very good at eating algae but not the back glass.

You might find that you have green spot algae on the back glass, Like you would have on the front and the only way to get rid of it is elbow grease, With one of those magna floats.

kevkoi
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 02:07 PM
I say, chuck them all in!!

Some bristlenose, some ottos, some siamese flying fox, some whiptails.... :wink:

DR.V
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 03:12 PM
Hahahaha ... okey then , i got 13 BN actually in the other tank, I'll chuck them all in into my biggest tank :p

goldenpigeon
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 11:42 PM
go whip-tails and ottos! they rock!

DR.V
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 02:20 AM
is whiptail expensive ??

goldenpigeon
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 05:30 AM
hell no!!! i got 1 11-12cm for $20 at the most expensive lfs on the gold coast so they cant be that expensive anywhere else

kevkoi
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:06 AM
Well, whiptail catfish is a broad general classification of a fair number of species.....
prices vary considerably depending on species of course.

longnose whiptail (S.barbatum) is possibly the cheapest whiptail in Australia. There is also the every popular royal whiptail (S.panamense) and the much rarer red whiptail......

Whatever tickles your fancy.

Ben
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:38 AM
ooooh dont forget those farowella's !

Chafule
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:16 AM
arent there catfish that look like leafs? or flatheads? o.O

DR.V
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:33 AM
look like leafs ??? green u mean ?? or the shape ?

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 01:16 PM
Farlowella = twig catfish. Brown and slender, like a twig.

goldenpigeon
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 02:29 AM
and they look cool when they rest in a bunch of plants