PDA

View Full Version : Discus in a clean aqua.

mpietro
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 05:26 PM
Seeing the pics in the photo gallery, i notice that the majority of you keep your discus, even when adult, in clean aquas, without gravel, sand, plants or driftwood.

I know that for breeding or for clean the aqua, is much more easy keep an aquarium without any thing. But for those that only keep discus like me, and can eventually have some fry. Even so do you preffer a clean aqua?

I ask this because my history is interesting.
I start my aqua with a lot of driftwood, plants and other kinds os fish.
As the time goes by, i removed something, fisrt the others fishs, after some driftwoods, some plants... Now in this weekend i removed all the plants.

This is funny, but as i said as the time goes by, you notice just by your
own experience that is always better keep discus in a clean enviroment.

Now my aqua have sand "just enough amount to cover the bottom", no plants "except for two windlovis"
only three litle pieces of driftwood, and a lot of free space for my discus
swimming and for to facilite the drift removing.

I don't know with in the future i will remove something else.

Proteus
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 10:18 PM
Welcome to DF.com

A lot of it comes down to practicality amd purpose. For breeding or QT purposes I only use bare bottom tanks, yet my 5x2x2 display tank is heavily planted with lots of driftwood/bogwood as well, it has a sand substrate. They still actively spawn in there, but given that there is 18 Adult Discus in there, the eggs usually get eaten.

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 11:45 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes, I think most of us keep our discus in bare tanks especially for spawning and raising the fry. It's just easier to keep the tanks clean that way, especially when you are feeding heavily to grow young fry.

However there is nothing more beautiful, or more natural, than to see a group of discus swimming in well planted display tank.

I think it's a case of what works best for you. Again welcome, and we'd love to see some pictures of your fish.