PDA

View Full Version : Just can't get rid of flukes!!

kkiu
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 01:36 PM
Hehe not the forum user "Flukes". Gill and skin flukes.
I've treated the tank with prazi for three weeks now and the flukes are still there.

Heres some background:
3ft tank
6 discus, 2 cardinals
colour glass pebbles sparsely place on bottom
2 canisters, 1 hang on the back
2 driftwood, 1 potted sword plant
12watt UV

Ok, for the past 3 weeks. this is what ive been doing
dose the tank with 1tablet /20Litre of aquarium water. Id crush the tablets and but them in a little warm water, and poured it into the tank.
Then after 48hrs, id do a water change, prox. 30%.
Whilst medicating, id remove carbon, turn off the lights and UV. I continued to feed as usual. (discus dinner, blood worm, breed premium, and colour bits)
Also, after the 48hrs, id clean one of my canisters filters (the HOB, doesnt have media in it)

7days after the first instance of medication id repeat the process again. e.g. start medicate on sunday, re-dose again next sunday.

I am pretty use they have fluke problems.
here are a list of the symptoms:
* Twitching dorsal fin
* Twitching pelvic fins
* Darting against plants
* scratching themselves with their pectorial fins
* sometimes breathe through one gill
* make regurgitation motions with their mouths

They are still eating, but as of recent, some of them have become more picky about what they eat.
Whats going on? am i doing something wrong?

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 12:00 AM
No, you're not doing anything wrong. In fact, you're doing everything right. What you've got is a strain of flukes that has become resistant to the medication.

Time to change to a different med. Prazi is the usual choice, but go back to your fish shop and see what else he has, with a different active ingredient.

kkiu
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 04:30 AM
Ok, new plan of attack. Went out and bought some "Para-cide" also by aquamasters. The active ingredient being 20mg/tablet of Trichlorfon.
The dosage recommended on the bottle is 1 tablet/40L of aquarium water.

How should i administer the medication? anyone treated with it before with sucess?

africandiscus
Tue Mar 29, 2005, 05:31 AM
How many litres is your tank?