PDA

View Full Version : Prazi and young Discus ...

Dee
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 02:19 PM
Hi All,

My youngsters look like they might have gill flukes, proberly from my pair that where in the tank prior to them. It doesn't seem to be to much of a problem ... they are all eating very well, but will flash against things in the tank and from time to time breath with one gill clamped. Do I treat at 2.5mg/L as stated in this post ...

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5933&highlight=gill

Or should i dose at 5mg/L as stated on the bottle. They are Auqamaster Gill & TapeWorm tabs ... each tab is 100mg of Prazi. I have treated my main tank of adults in the past, but only at 2.5mg/L due to having cory's and BN's in there.

What would be the best dose rate for young discus (5 - 7cm). I want to knock the flukes on the head, but don't want to overdose the youngsters. I would treat twice, a week apart and clean filter after each dose. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Dee. :)

mistakes r crucial
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 01:17 AM
Dee,

I have recently treated 2 tanks of young Discus with Prazi and used what they recommended on the bottle without any problems. IMO if you use half the dose you'll get half the job done.
MAC

leanne31
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 02:08 AM
Ive got juvies as well around the 10 cm mark and I dosed full strength with prazi as well and they acted as if it wasnt even there.

Leanne

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 03:32 AM
I think a full strength dose is better. Half dose may kill some flukes, but other will build up a resistance to the drug, and that means bigger problems down the track.

Just watch them closely, if they look distressed, do a water change.

Dee
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 03:49 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the prompt reply's, most appreciated :)

I will dose at 5mg/L and keep an eye out for any signs of stress.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Dee. :)

flukes
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 06:02 AM
Let us know how you go for future reference

Dee
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 03:21 AM
Hi Flukes,

I will give a progress report as i go. I just dosed at 5mg/L = 7 100mg tabs for 140L. They all seem fine :)

Thanks to all for the advice and help.

Cheers,

Dee :)