PDA

View Full Version : angels going blind

giorid
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 07:50 AM
Hi guys,
Some of my angels seem to be going blind in one eye, the eye changes appearance and the fish swims with the good eye looking downward, could this blindness be caused by a bacterial infection or parasite, or could it be genetic, I searched online for info but found nothing, have any of you seen this before with your angels? Tthanks again, and merry christmas and a happy new year to all, cheers, max.

Merrilyn
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 08:10 AM
Max, can you get a photo of the eye, or at least describe how the eye is changing?

A bit more info about your tank and water conditions may be helpful too.

giorid
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks merrilyn,
I can't take a picture a don't have the equipment, but the eye doesn't look normal, it looks as if it has shrunk, and the pupil is just a small white dot. The water has a ph of 6.5 and it's a bare bottom tank, just glass and water.

Merrilyn
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 11:32 AM
How many fish in the tank are involved and is there anything in there that they could injure their eyes on? Any other tankmates?

First thing I'd do, is a big water change and dose the tank with 1 teaspoon of cooking salt to 40 litres of tank water.

Hopefully ILLUSN will have a better idea.

giorid
Thu Dec 08, 2011, 12:54 PM
I always do 50% water changes on a weekly basis and always add salt at the rate of 100 or 200 gm/100L, I don't understand why only one eye is always affected and not both, strange.