PDA

View Full Version : good beefheart recipe

goldenpigeon
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 10:14 AM
hi all :D ,
could any1 who has a good recipe for making excellent quality beefheart food share? i would also apreciate cooking method, ingredients ect. buying comercial stuff is sending me broke real quick! :(

thanx

flukes
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 12:28 PM
If you look further through this section Matt (Mattzilla) wrote a great piece with pics included on his reciepe and making it..

kalebjarrod
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:18 PM
here is mine, i find you can just mutiple the qty to make even bigger batchs

500grms beef heart (no fat, all cut up) so you will need to get a heart of 650ish grams

250grms of tuna steak
250grams of shelled prawns
2 garlic colves (or 3)
1 medium carrot
1/4 of a medium red capsicum
2 woman multiviatmins
1/2 a whole spinach (cut the bases of hey tend to stay chunking and the fish won't eat them)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon spirulina
1 egg
1 cup tetra bits ( or granula discus food of your choice)

i use a food processer, i individually process the ingredients as each one requires a different time in the processer, i also doule or triple the ingredients and make bigger batches. I simple can't fit it all in

your sea food and vegies process really quick so just pluse the processer

do small batchs to start so you can get ued to how to put it together, then start making economic big barrels of the stuff

stem you carrots, this brings out the carotene, don't boil them this will leach the carotene into the water

thats me :wink:

Mattzilla
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:29 PM
hey flukes....i can't find the one with pics added to it.

do you know where it is?

thanks mate

goldenpigeon
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:42 PM
thanx mattzilla,
does anything litteraly need to be cooked? and will the mix just bond well when frozen?

thanx heeps

kalebjarrod
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:47 PM
i only cook carrots

if you add granular food this binds the ingredients to gether well

the egg helps the bondage as well ( so does my rubber suit LOL )

mine stays together well

goldenpigeon
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:54 PM
ok well discus premium would be good for that. do you steam the carrots or what? and is the egg boiled?
thanx guys

kalebjarrod
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 10:51 PM
yep steam the carrots, boiling loses the carotene

raw egg, seems to bind the ingredients a bit better

i put some discus preminum in my last batch :wink:

should work well

goldenpigeon
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:19 PM
thanx ryan

flukes
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 12:03 AM
hey flukes....i can't find the one with pics added to it.

do you know where it is?

thanks mate

Ive looked everywhere matt cant find it anywhere.. where did you post it...??

I had a look in articles, food and photo sections.....no luck

Ben
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 12:33 AM
hi peoples,
i found some recipes on simply discus
here is the link:

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/foods_nutritions/recipes/index.shtml

kalebjarrod
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 02:57 AM
i think you where looking for this

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1013&highlight=beef+heart+mixes

"doing the happy dance around the room"

Mattzilla
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 05:30 AM
goldenpigeon....

i microwave the carrots for a few minutes just till they are soft and if i use fresh spinach i quickly microwave that too...otherwise i use frozen spinach which i just thaw and add

nothing else needs to be cooked in the mix.

* just one note to say that you can't just feed the bh mix and that's all... it's a great boost to their diet but i must stress that you need to feed a large variety of other foods such as granules, flakes, frozen fodds etc

and ryan...gold star mate!

kalebjarrod
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 05:50 AM
and ryan...gold star mate!

i thought i was pretty special too! :wink:

flukes
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 06:00 AM
I bet you where up all night looking for that :lol:

I had a 5mins kid look and gave up... :wink:

kalebjarrod
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 09:24 PM
nope

just typed it into the search

Then i came here and took some glory :wink:

mistakes r crucial
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 07:57 AM
What do you guys and girls think of using Spinache in your BH mix? I read on Simply 12 or 18 months ago that the Discus digestive system does not/cannot digest it and therefore it comes out exactly the same as it went in.

Based on that and a few other comments I have never used it, I use quite a bit of OSI spirulina flake, banana, garlic etc as a substitute. Interested to know how you find it as it's a great source of many things.
MAC

kalebjarrod
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 09:55 AM
spinach is a high source of carotene

i am unsure as to if it is available like carrot if left uncooked?

i am giving uncooked a go now and the fish still love it, so at worst it is a great source of fibre

i am unsure how to get results from my hunch as i only have two discus tanks and cannot get a control beacuse of this

and the fact i am trying capsicum at the same time won't help

worst case its cheap, healthy, and a great source of fibre! IMHO

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 01:01 PM
Mac, I will sometimes add banana, garlic and spirulina to my beef heart mix, but I also add cooked prawns.

I don't think there is any conclusive scientific research on what discus really need in their diet. I believe that giving a wide variety of foods goes a long way toward addressing any deficiencies. I think that's the best we can do.

mistakes r crucial
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks Merrilyn.

goldenpigeon
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 02:26 AM
is muscle meat any good? i was recently at my sea food whole saler and he had muscle meat for about $5.00 a kilo. is that cheap?

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 10:41 AM
Any seafood is good. The secret is to mince it up finely but not turn it into a paste that fouls the water.

mistakes r crucial
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 05:57 PM
I use Gelatin and wheat germ with my mixes, freeze it then cut it up into little squares. Stays firm until its either eaten or syphoned out. Seems to work well.
MAC

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 04:04 AM
can there be a disadvantage with using gelatin? could the discus fill up on it to much and not eat the other ingredience or do you only use small amount of gelatin?

mistakes r crucial
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 04:31 AM
The Gelatin is totally melted prior to putting in the mix and when it comes out of the freezer you cant even tell its there. It doesnt look like lumps of food in Gelatin, just one big block of food.
MAC

kalebjarrod
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 08:31 AM
sea food is good but tuna or salmon is better

it has that omega thingy in it so there fur comes out nice and shiney

mistakes r crucial
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 08:50 AM
Ryan,

I used Tuna for the first time with a new mix last weekend, also used fish fillets, banana prawns, BH, banana, wheat germ, garlic, spirulina flake, egg yolk, kiddies multi vitamins and gelatin. Might have been a bit heavy handed on the garlic butt, can smell it as soon as I open the freezer! Makes me feel hungry, should have a microwave in the fish room. There again I'd be picking those green bits of Spirulina out of my teeth all night.

MAC

kalebjarrod
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 10:57 PM
tuna is good,

i use spirulina powder, sends the mix green but mixes through better

mine pig down my mix

leanne31
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 02:35 AM
Id be very interested to see photos of your furry fish Ryan dont think Ive seen a fish with fur on it before. :shock: :lol:

Leanne

Merrilyn
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 12:31 PM
LOL Leanne - I had to read that twice too :lol:

Del
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 03:13 AM
Just a thank you for the great BH recipes - SUCESS! My two loved it and there was none left once the tetras and 2 large snails finally finished with it.

I purchased a pork-mincer at HOUSE for $60 and used Mattzilla’s step-by-step photos and kalebjarrod's recipe (with just egg yolk).

Thanks again for the great info guys! :mrgreen:

goldenpigeon
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 07:08 AM
its alright mate im only here 2 help :)

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 12:07 AM
where would i get spirulina from?

leanne31
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 01:44 AM
I think from a health food shop junior.

Leanne

kalebjarrod
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 08:46 AM
the guys at robina town centre just doen from coles sell big bottles of it

its expensive in a powder but it last's ages

Ben
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 07:36 AM
Hey peoples,
I just trialed something for the first time today,
tell me what you think:

I bought some preservative free ,frozen tail off, raw prawns. As it was a trial i only made a small amount. I finely chopped it and mixed it with some spiralina powder. Thats it!
I fed it to some of my discus, because it was new they were a bit suss, but i watched them and they did swallow it.

What do we think??

cheers,
Ben

kalebjarrod
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 08:01 AM
certainly not a stable diet but in combination it may work

goldenpigeon
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 01:09 PM
what sort of money are we talking for the sirulina ryan? im in the nerang/molendinar area do you know if anybody sells it round here?

kalebjarrod
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 07:59 AM
robina town centre the guys in the chemist down from wollies

i bought a huge bottle for $40.00

lasted me for a year now and still over half full

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 10:37 AM
ok sounds good

ImTheRealAquaman
Wed May 30, 2007, 04:42 AM
I am not sure if this has been mentioned or not, (forgive me if it has) but microwaving any veggies will destroy most of its nutritional value. You are better oof raw, or steamed isn't half bad.

kalebjarrod
Sun Jun 10, 2007, 08:59 PM
yeah steam them as a lot of veggies will float if put in the mix raw :wink: