PDA

View Full Version : preventing breeding

aplfarmer
Thu Mar 24, 2005, 08:19 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking this subject has been discussed many times before but oh well, here it is again.
I'm rather new to the "discus personality disorder". I would eventually like to see mine breed for one reason being I think that might be a good indicator of their contentment in life.
My question is this: Can I delay the breeding urge by regulating the ph to the mid 7's? I'd like to see a little more growth before they breed. Presently they're about 4 1/2 inches.

Thanks,

Roger

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:49 AM
Interesting question Roger. I don't know that altering the pH will actually put them off spawning. Perhaps the simplest thing might be that if you see them pairing up, to remove one of the pair and place it in another tank.

I don't like the idea of altering the water or feeding a monotonous diet to prevent breeding. In this case, as you do want to breed them later, simple might be the best way to go.

flukes
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 02:10 AM
Just because they are spawning at 4 1/2 inch doesnt mean they'll be parents, it can take months too years too get it right. Although some can work it out fairly quick..

I dont think its a fact that spawning or mating will stop the growth of the parents.

Either way as LR said dont be messing around with water specs or their diet too achive it just seperate either one..

aplfarmer
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 02:39 AM
Thanks for your input...I think it's sound advice and I'm going to take it. :D
I don't know where I came up with the info that she would stop growing at the onset of spawning...
Anyway, thanks again for the clairity.

Roger

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 02:47 AM
I've heard that before too. But experience has proven it wrong in my case anyway. I don't think it's so much the act of spawning that gives growth a setback, but feeding and raising the fry.