PDA

View Full Version : reputable discus dealer

rushui
Tue Mar 23, 2004, 03:06 AM
Does anybody know any reputable discus dealer in United States? I am starting a 55 discus Gal tank and need some good sources.

flukes
Tue Mar 23, 2004, 04:12 AM
join Daah depending on where you are there are some great local breeders there, you can read the post and know who has the besat discus i know mike heppner has a good name over there but then i dont know where about he is, but if i was in the states id have to get a jack wattley discus just to say "this discus is from jack wattley". But yeah there are some good breeders over there that you wont have to pay retail for their fish. DAAH always has good and bad posts on all types of breeders.

Proteus
Tue Mar 23, 2004, 05:21 AM
DAAH (Discus As A Hobby) is a good start, Bry? Luv? any thoughts???

I will have access to more info once I get home next week... (just on the road right now)

flukes
Tue Mar 23, 2004, 05:55 AM
Road?? You in kiwi country...
Where abouts are you?? north or south island?

Annie
Tue Mar 23, 2004, 06:24 AM
Luv just mentioned somewhere a response to the same type of question...let me see if I can find it...

Annie
Tue Mar 23, 2004, 06:25 AM
Found it....

Tacks, whereabouts are you? GreatLakesDiscus is in Michigan (just outside Detroit), and Cary raises and breeds exceptional discus. A Discus Obsession is also in the northern 'States, I believe. Discus Dream, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head ('puter crashed, lost all my bookmarks :( ), but those should get you started, along with Wattley.

Don't take this the wrong way, but Wattley isn't considered the "best" out there for discus any more, just "one of the best". Depending on where you are, I might know of some others I could steer you to.

flukes
Tue Mar 23, 2004, 07:31 AM
wattley's loosing his reputation, guess his getting old. Ah well he will still be remebered as one of the pioneers in discus breeding. I remember the first discus i saw was in jack wattley's book when i was like 14 and all i was told is discus are too delicate and you wouldn't be able to keep them let alone breed them. Well times are changing and a lot more is known about these beautiful fish...

I also see Cary meantioned alot so they must be good discus to be well praised on such a site..

Proteus
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 12:03 AM
Scott... yes I am in the land of chasing sheep (I am not wearing gum boots OK).

Just about to go on a Glacier hike... first clear day since Saturday so am going to make the most of it...

luvfishies
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 03:21 AM
Thanks Annie! Cary has a great rep, and his fish ship weill, and are stunning.

Another one with a stellar rep is rockymountaindiscus....don't know the URL......

tennhound
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 03:14 PM
Here is the URL for Rocky Mountain Discus

http://www.rockymountaindiscus.com/

I have looked at their pics and they are beautiful.

MARIE