PDA

View Full Version : POND SEALER

DiscusMad
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 12:57 PM
Ok been trying it out in a plywood tank that i am making and its looking quite good as a sealent (had it all over my hands for a few days lol) instead of usein a toxic smelling resin

It looks like watered milk but when painted on it goes clear but don't do what I was tempted to do and pour the stuff on cause it just ends up one big mess and it doesen't dry clear when you aply it with it runny every where.

but i think it would work well for peoples back drops if they paint then and need to seal it

it comes in 3 colours tar, sky blue and clear

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks for that info. Got a brand name?

DiscusMad
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 01:51 PM
Crommelin POND SEALER (COLOURS)

here the company wright up on the stuff

Description: POND SEALER (COLOURS)is a liquid applied flexible waterproofing membrane. POND SEALER provides an attractive finish in a range of colours. POND SEALER can also be reinforced with Crommelin REINFORCING FABRIC over areas of existing cracks.

Colours: Black, Blue and Sandstone.

Uses: POND SEALER (COLOURS) is a water-based reliable solution to permanently seal fishponds and ornamental pools.

Standard packaging: 1L, 4L, 15L

and here is a link for more information

http://www.crommelin.com.au/pdfs/pondsealer-colours.pdf

DeKa
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 10:01 PM
The Crommelin product will not work.

As the PDF file linked above specifies, it is for use on masonry products (concrete, stone, rendered surfaces) and not timber.

We sell a comparable product - Bondall Pondtite (http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/categories.asp?cID=41) and it is masonry only as well.

The only products that will work are the ones that shower and bathroom waterproofers use - I presume it is a resin based compound. It is painted successfully onto timber.

Hope that helps,
Derek.

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 10:47 AM
Hi Derek, nice to have you back. Thanks for that clarification.

DiscusMad
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 02:49 AM
I have used and tested this product a few times on one of my test i used some chip board which would swell up if sunk in water it said on the container that you have to use extra coats if useing a pourous surface(sorry cant spell) I took an off cut of chip board and gave the pice about 5 coats of the pond sealer clear all over and then sunk it in an old bath tub in the back yard its been there for a few weeks now and i check on it every week and there has been nil swelling at all still in the same shape as i had put it in as. so I think its a great product!

Proteus
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:16 AM
but remember, it has no load bearing on it... given Dereks experience in this field I would be very careful, not saying you are wrong, but I would hate for you to use the product then with 1/2 a tonne of water pressure bearing down on it the seal gives...

DiscusMad
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 02:05 PM
But that all the fun of trying all of this stuff ;)

and testing as well.

Will let everybody know how it all goes I just love expermenting with all sorts of stuff most of my material I have goten for free so I have built a tank that will hold around 250Lt had sealed it with the pond sealer with 6-7 coats and already have put the front glass pice as well as sealed all the joins with silicon i am trying it this way just to give it a go and all its costed me so far is the pond sealer, silicon and screws as I said I love giving anything a go also I have read about a guy that used pond sealer and it worked well so when I fill this tank up I'm going to let it sit for a good 1-2 months to see how it goes

but the other thing I had thought of was that it would be good for making back grounds, painting them and then useing the pond sealer to seal the paint in.

Proteus
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 10:28 PM
testing is good....

:wink:

DiscusMad
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 12:43 PM
testing is good....

:wink:

I think its the best thing with DIY stuff its all to do with trying things out on the cheap to see if things you can make work well or to just forget it if it fails.

And if it works telling everybody how you did it and what to avoid doing and getting other peoples imput 8-)