PDA

View Full Version : pH and peat

skoom
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 11:45 AM
I have a 220L tank and do daily 25% water changes.

My pH is usually about 7.0

I age 45L a day and the pH does not usually fall below 7.8 (sydney water). I am concerned that the fish may not like this.

I have decided to get peat. I have heard that it keeps the water acidic and reduces carbonate hardness (which I have also heard isn't much of a problem in Sydney). Anyway, I want to use it to stabilise the pH.

My concerns are:

a)Will my tank go thru a pH crash? like <6.0?
I am doing daily water changes.... and ageing water with a power filter packed with peat..... i am yet to test new pH but hopefully it will be around the main tank. I am keen to get the pHs similar and stable.

b)The box also says peat should not be used with carbon. Why is that?

thanks for any advice...

skoom

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 01:09 PM
Skoom, why would you want to change the pH of your tank. If it is running at around 7 even with a daily change of 7.8 water, then that sounds perfect to me. If you start dropping the pH of the change water, you might find your tank pH dropping too low.

Peat is the most gentle way to alter the pH, and it will add a slight tan colour to the water which your fish will love. Carbon will strip all the tanins out of the water, just the thing that you are trying to add.

skoom
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 12:37 PM
thanks ladyred...always answering promptly.

i think the fish are happy with the new tinting in their water...

might keep it this way....thanks again