PDA

View Full Version : help, discus laying on its side at bottom of tank

emie1
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:15 AM
hello all, I just introduced 3 new discus to my community tank and about 2 hours later, found 1 at the bottom laying on its side barely moving. I tried to get him and he leaped up and swam away, no visible coordination problems or signs of bad health. He even ate from my hand frozen brine shrimp. but when I checked 30 minutes later he was again on his side. i have a 60gal tank, dual whisper60 filter, air bubble bar 32" long, temp is about 80deg, Ive applied fresh water salt from the start and at every water change(2-3 times a week 10%, last changed yesterday) last water sample yesterday everything normal(nitrites,nitrates 0, ph7, etc) tank mates: 3 discus 2.5" to 3" -- 3 pictus cats 2"-- 2 gold plecos 2.5" -- 1 blue guarami 2.5" -- and a black ghost 4.5" . Is this sometimes normal. Doing alot of reading but still new to discus, any help appreciated.

leanne31
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:29 AM
I went round to my sisters who got a few discus shipped over from sydney (sls) a little while back I looked in her tank and they were sitting on the bottom on their side we both ran round panicking testing water etc thinking something was wrong but after a while they all became fine and to this day they are fine. I've heard this sometimes can happen due to stress etc just make sure the lights are off and let them adjust before you panic.

Leanne

emie1
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:43 AM
leanne, Thank you for your reply. Ill still keep a close eye, but its a huge relief to know this has happened to someone with no lasting affects.

dreamer
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:46 AM
your temp is too low .. set it around 85F

Ben
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:47 AM
My theroy is:

When discus have been in a bag and moved into a new suroundings it causes a fair amount of stress, this can effect their swim bladdar and it may take several hours for them to adjust. Just be patient and check in to morning. If he is eating ,everything should be ok.

HTH,
Ben

leanne31
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:53 AM
Oh def raise your temp to 85 - 86 like dreamer said way to low. Just keep those lights off and even cover the tank to let them adjust and hopefully by tomorrow he should be looking a bit better cross fingers

Leanne

emie1
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:56 AM
dreamer, its at 81deg now and im already worried for the other fish. prodigy, i hope thats all it is. and im doing just that lights are off and will check back in morning. Thank you all for the help.

Kaza
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 09:05 AM
Are you saying that you are adding salt when ever you do a water change or just when they are sick or stressed?Salt should not be used all the time just saved for when there is a problem.

DiscusMan
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 09:56 AM
Most breeders will do a water change down to only a few inches if not 1 inch deep of water.

The fish get used to this from a very earliy age and as a result when they get moved or a bit worried about water leve, this is the reaction they give.

I wouldnt be to concerned as you said it is eating and stands up and swims. give a while and see how it goes.

Wayne

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 11:54 AM
Hi emie1 and welcome to the forum. Hope you find your discus swimming happily in the morning. There's not too much wrong with a discus that still wants to eat, so I'm sure you will find everything is okay.

Keep us posted.

leanne31
Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:27 AM
Hi was just wondering if your discus was any better today after a good nights rest :?

Leanne

emie1
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 06:49 AM
sorry havent posted, internet was down. Yes, he's fine now, happy as can be. Thanks everyone for your help.

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 08:58 AM
That's great news. Any further problems, just give us a call.