PDA

View Full Version : Jothy's Altums..

LEG-IT
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 12:57 PM
Just a few pics of jothy's altums, stopped over today at Jothy's place with my brother, took a few snap's..

Not to Pleased with the overall result of the pics, but If you want better pic's, i'll bring the camera back around once the altum's are in the display.

Altum's were abit camera shy today and were facing the opposite side most of the time LOL, LED's were on but weren't really visible as the natural light coming from the window behind the holding tank kinda killed it lol

you can kinda see the led's working in the background, reflecting the light on the side of the redback;s.

Didn't bring the flash out either as i couldn't be bothered building the diffuser, plus i dont think their would be enough headspace for the flash to fit in..

Was basically a quick point and shoot..

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6204/6088840338_3ce5bbc427_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6204/6088294391_d5164ea2bc_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6201/6088926252_9291cfb0f2_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6086/6088926546_9ea88d1402_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6207/6088927834_8d23ff5361_z.jpg

Exotic Aquatic
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 01:01 PM
looking great!

LEG-IT
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 01:04 PM
and from what i hear theres two bonded pairs :lol:

ILLUSN
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 04:43 AM
2 pairs just waiting to spawn need to fatten them up and grow them up a bit more they're still only 11 inches in height tip to tip

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 07:19 AM
yeah not too bad.....

bah! they are awesome mate well done. can't believe i still havn't seen them in the flesh.... i need to pull my finger out!

LEG-IT
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 07:34 AM
LOL, i call bullsh!t on the size of your redbacks jothy!....

oh and adrian check out how good jothy grew those whiptails out in pic 3.. bloody stunners

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 12:56 PM
Since jono started this thread i supose i better add to it, please excuse the hardware the old fuji 5600 is starting to date, the night mode seemed to give the best representation of color but was a little hard to focus on everything.

tank specs4x2x16" tall 30C pH 6.0
water changes 50% daily every other day if I'm busy but atleast 5x a week
filtration:aquaclear 500 on one end fusion 4 on the other large sponge filter working as an airstone
Lighting: DIY LED lamp
FISH:6x Altums
3x sub adult redbacks (EA's 1st batch)
5 juvinile redbacks (EA's NSW group buy)
3x long nose whips
25ish neon tetras (feeders) + cardinal tetra
Feeding: tetra color granules + sera viapan 3x a day, freeze dried aussie blackworms once a day (at night) 30-50 neon tetras a month

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 12:59 PM
more...
the 3 big redbacks are from the 5 Adrian sent me when he first had them, the smaller ones are the remaining from the 10 that Jono got with the NSW group buy, kinda a massive diffrence in size, they were all the same when you first got them right Adrian?

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 01:02 PM
more:
these are the dominent pair of altums the male wont let any other male anywhere near the filter intake, he seems to let girls come and go

HUN
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 01:43 PM
Hi, Jothy
when i look closely some of the Manacapuru have some lump at the middle of the body,bone? some of the juvenile are so slim , worm ? :shock:

Exotic Aquatic
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 01:57 PM
HAHAHAHA AWESOME!

Yeah they were all the same size, give or take a cm or so on a couple. I have 2 left, you want them too?

Sending out all your motley crew of weird angels hopefully this weekend if i can con Ravi into breaking away! We are pretty hectic at the moment here with the new forrest order and the new and improved quarantine facility.

Remind me to post pics of my new 6ft CBS breeding tank?

Also not sure if you noticed in the other thread im chasing some orinoco abalios if you can find any... and more CBS- not fussed on grading, just need genetic diversity for now.

much love,
EA

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 09:08 PM
Hi, Jothy
when i look closely some of the Manacapuru have some lump at the middle of the body,bone? some of the juvenile are so slim , worm ? :shock:

Even the big redbacks have it if you look very close the altums have it too. I believe it's just part of the physiology the new redbacks are small and skinny but have been wormed if you remember that all the redbacks are from the same batch you can see how much difference optimum care(i.e water changes) makes ( the 3 big ones have been in my care for a few months the 5 small ones arrived on the weekend) The small ones will fatten up with time and a little TLC. The constant supply of live food won't hurt them either.

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 11:49 PM
HAHAHAHA AWESOME!

Yeah they were all the same size, give or take a cm or so on a couple. I have 2 left, you want them too?

Sending out all your motley crew of weird angels hopefully this weekend if i can con Ravi into breaking away! We are pretty hectic at the moment here with the new forrest order and the new and improved quarantine facility.

Remind me to post pics of my new 6ft CBS breeding tank?

Also not sure if you noticed in the other thread im chasing some orinoco abalios if you can find any... and more CBS- not fussed on grading, just need genetic diversity for now.

much love,
EA

LOL send them down they can join the school, once the house renovations are over the 6 altums will be in lounge room tank leaving this tank for the redbacks, i think the 10 will be quite happy, once i get fry I'll ship them back down to you.

LEG-IT
Wed Aug 31, 2011, 08:39 AM
Nice jothy! i only ever fed mine dry food's, never live and only done water changes every 2-3 days, size difference was bloody crazy lol Your's were under optimum conditions with the altums, i think it was water changes every day? and mixed variety of live foods/dry foods?

Some of the large ones in my group weren't to skinny, though one was slim (the smaller fella)

But you must see your zebras jothy, Some are larger then the ones in the holding tank below..

they loose the trailers? settled in even more! Remembered you chuck them in and one of the little ones staunched up to the altum! LOL

Not sure if the redbacks are slim as smaller juveniles but if you look at the bigger ones jothy, they've got abit of meat on them.

I wormed then once at my place with metro, and i think you wormed them when i first got them?

next time i come, i'll come at night, much better for photo's lol

and to anyone wondering what happened to the other 5 redbacks, I had 2 drop dead mysteriously at my place, 1 dead from getting bullied by the Zebs, rio brancos and discus and another 2 mysteriously dying at jothys place when they first arrived in sydney

ILLUSN
Wed Aug 31, 2011, 09:39 AM
Water changes are the secret to growing fish big FAST a good diet just keeps them growing my tank is a little warmer then yours and mine get a better photoperiod against the south facing window. Yours will catch up in no time give me 3 months and I'll have them just as big and hopefully fully colored up.
Don't feel too bad about loosing them they are way more demanding then domestic angels. Remember I lost 2 so at best I've achieved a 60% success rate only

LEG-IT
Wed Aug 31, 2011, 10:03 AM
ah ok, Tapajos juvies here i come Lol

when the redbacks were at my place they were at a steady 27-28c, So i presume warmer temp, equals faster metabolism so faster growth?

Can't wait till they are fully grown up! Would love to see pics then

I had similar survival rates too, lost 3 at my place.. Seems altums are easier to keep then, better get my hands on some :P LOL

anyhow goodluck on breeding these fellas!

ALTUMA
Tue Oct 25, 2011, 06:49 AM
Must say, i don’t like what the breeders are doing with this Altums, won’t be long before they lose the solid lines.
Anyhow it only makes it more desirable to keep the wild caught Altums.

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
time for a LONG over due update:
Bad news, lost 1 male altum to aggression (eyes were ripped out fins shredded) 1 to swim bladder obstruction and one just disapeared.
Of the original redbacks I'm down to 3 but all are massive.

Good news: I was luckyenough to have Brian of finvision sell me some of his latest shipment of F1 altums and they are impressive!
I was VERY lucky to have Kath sell me her Redback colony and Suriname angel colony (see thread here http://discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23633&highlight= )

Adrians Last 3 altums are HUGE! fully extended the biggest is a solid 11 inches tall and just keeps growing!!!

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
more

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:28 PM
more

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:31 PM
and last but not least
the Longnose whiptails Adrian sent up from Exotic aquatic have been breeding like crazy, here's dad on his 5th spawn I have close to 300 fry growing up :)

LEG-IT
Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
:shock:

looks the goods Jothy, Needs more Eartheaters and Wild discus :P
Oh and a Mix reef tank, SPS predominately with a few LPS corals and Clams.

Whats in the DT now? Adrians Altum's are massive now!

Let me know if your keen on breeding the tapajos jothy, just take extreme good care of them they'll throw out some good fry and i've got a waiting list of people who have been after them for quite some time lol, i'm a lazy bloke what can i say :lol:

Pics of the surnim's? Heard brians bringing in some St isabel angels
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/m3h3c3/angel5.jpg

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
lol surinams pics here
http://discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23633&highlight=

just for comparison the body size of the redbacks from Kath are the size of the palm of my hand. Adrians Altums are MASSIVE!!!!!!

I'm at capacity now which is why the surinames are off site if I had the space (and could sneak past the wife) those St Isabels would be in my room LOL

LEG-IT
Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:28 PM
lmao, Problem solved throw the St Isabel into the 5footer!

Damn i needa setup my 4x2x2 lol, those t5 lights have been in storage since LOL

i'll just leave this here
http://blog.aquanerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Sonnys-Rimless-Reef.jpg

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 01:57 AM
Last night as the redbacks were spawning i noticed the vents drop on my Altums, my BIG pair is definately a boy and a girl and look like the ones I got of Brian @ FinVision are 2 boys and 2 girls. So my ratios are 3 boys 3 girls and 1 unknown heres hopeing its a girl and I can get a wild caught boy to "throw a leg" over her.

Mr Wild
Fri Apr 20, 2012, 11:59 AM
Ahh they are just big silver and black fish nothing fancy a little splash of blue.

Surinams rule lol