PDA

View Full Version : Ocean greens, BAD NEWS!

Ben
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:35 AM
Love is in the air, in my fish room!

here is a pair of ocean greens, (the lighting is not that good, so you can not quite see that eradescent green sheen they have, but are noticably different to blue diamonds!)

They have eaten there eggs quite a few times, so once again i caged the eggs in.

cheers,
Ben

flukes
Thu Mar 24, 2005, 09:21 AM
Congrats you can send some my way!!

goldenpigeon
Thu Mar 24, 2005, 09:51 AM
i think you need another hobby. i bet that camera u used is so tired it wont work for a while yet. any more pics we should see?

Ben
Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:08 AM
lol David! :lol:

i will take some more pics tomorrow!

cheers,
Ben :wink:

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 24, 2005, 01:18 PM
Keep 'em coming Ben. We love it.

Ben
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 12:16 AM
more pics :oops:

Ben
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:45 AM
hi peoples,

the wrigglers are just starting to swim! they dart out past the safty cage, mum grabs them and spits them back onto the cone!
so very exciting!!
will take more pics this arvo!

kalebjarrod
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 03:00 AM
well done :wink:

more pics as they grow please

Ben
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 04:32 AM
early days yet but here a couple more pics.

ctvu
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 04:39 AM
Hi

Aren't u lucky Ben? looking good though. Well done!!!
Pls keep us informed.

ctvu

moredisc
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 09:05 AM
Good luck Benny Boy, cant wait to see them!!!!! :roll:

Ben
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 11:42 PM
here are a couple pics today, first day starting to swimm freely!

Ben
Sat Mar 26, 2005, 11:43 PM
ok, a couple more pics! :roll:

Mattzilla
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 12:04 AM
great pictures mate!

i hope they all grow up fast and healthy fr you

pitchblack
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 01:32 AM
since youve had that digital camera non stop pics he he he

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 04:53 AM
Great shots mate - thrilled for you.

moredisc
Sun Mar 27, 2005, 11:57 AM
:D Very happy for you Ben. m :wink: m

chrissyoscar
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 09:47 PM
Wow, great job Ben.
You've got a real nice pair there. Post more pics as the babys grow.

Oscar

Ben
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 10:09 PM
toddler discus :D

chrissyoscar
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 10:25 PM
Ben you've inspired me.
I'm definetly going to give breeding another go.
It must be a great feeling seeing those babys every day.
Keep the photos coming
Oscar

Ben
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 07:36 AM
cheers oscar! and others!
I dont have any children (yet!)
but its great bieng a father!
its unreal watching how fast they grow!
cheers,
Ben

ctvu
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 09:48 PM
Hi Ben

they are growing very fast indeed!!! and it is really great watching them grow.

ctvu

Ben
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 12:19 AM
:lol:
cheers and thanks for the reply's
here is an up date.
Sunday they have started to venture out and are now eating BBS, under the watchful eye of mum and dad. And are grazing all the surfaces searching for food.

pitchblack
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 05:09 AM
ohhhhhhhhh babies are nice mate. I want some he he he!!!!!!

moredisc
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 07:01 AM
Great to see the babies growing Ben. m :o m

Ben
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 07:22 AM
just a pic update.
these guys are growing well! :lol:

There are not many shown in the picture but the tank is swarming with babies! In a week i will transfer them to a 4 foot tank by them selves.
8-)

goldenpigeon
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 09:49 AM
very nice mate. they are doin well. my discus have fry at the moment but they seem to be dropping dead for no reason?

Ben
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 09:57 AM
David, thats not good!
when you say they are dying at what stage?
can you see little dead bodies?
are they getting fed from the parents?

Ben

moredisc
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 10:05 AM
hey ben. you there??

goldenpigeon
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 10:10 AM
yes little dead boddies on the floor. they are about 2-3 days free swimming. im starting to think that the fry cant see the parents because they are mostly light coloured.

Ben
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 10:33 PM
Here is a bit of a pic update of the ocean green babies.
It is real hard to get a good photo as they swim very, very fast!

Ben

goldenpigeon
Sat Apr 16, 2005, 11:34 PM
awww koolo!!!!!! growing fast!

do i get a free sample for being your best friend?

Ben
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 12:15 AM
Nothings for free in this world junior!
But i will let you look at the pictures for free!
lol

Ben

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 12:54 AM
"suddenly it hits goldenpigeon the junior".................

HE HAS NO FRIENDS!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i prefer fish not pics :roll:

Ben
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 01:05 AM
ohhhhh,
dont be like that junior!
ok, 1/2 price for you!!

leanne31
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 01:35 AM
Im still your friend junior :lol: :lol:

Leanne

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 01:46 AM
YES!!!! *hit his head on ceiling*

OW!!!! !@#$

i knew crying would work :cry: :lol:

I DO HAVE FRIENDS! THANX GUYS YOU ARE ALWAYS THERE FOR ME WHEN I NEED YOU! ALL OF THE SUPPORT YOU GIVE ME (WISH IT WAS FINANCIAL HEHEHE :lol: ) IT IS MUCH APPRICIATED!!!

Ben
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 01:54 AM
feeding time.......

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 01:59 AM
kool what are you feeding them?

Ben
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 02:14 AM
I started off with hatching baby brine shrimp, but i am sick of doing that, so i got them onto frozen baby brine shrimp pretty quickly.
In the last few days i have been also feeding them a discus beef heart mix which has prawns and mussels (hence the white colour bits in the pic).
Also trialing them on slightly ground up breeders premium dried food which they eat after it goes a bit soft in the water.

Ben

pitchblack
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 03:14 AM
nice babies ben some are going to be mine when they grow a little bigger
:P :P :P :P

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 04:21 AM
You've done a wonderful job. I love to see such happy, healthy babies. :wink:

Ben
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 07:47 AM
Thanks Merrilyn!
Since they have hatched i have been looking after them more than my self! lol
They have been getting 2 water changes daily, around 15 - 20 %
As i am really filling them full of food!

Cant wait till they grow up and get colour!

cheers,
Ben

sleeper
Tue Apr 19, 2005, 08:25 AM
very nice blue

Ben
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 01:17 AM
Well everyone,
I have some very bad news,
after a stuggle over the last few days i lost
all the baby's. :cry:
(there were 112 of them)
I am 99.9 % sure is was gill flukes,
Water was %100 ok, not ammonia etc.

I am going to treat all my tanks with prazi,
even though i did do it about 2 months ago.

Anyhow I have to move on.
Sorry to tell everyone of this bad news. :cry:

The parents are looking like they will spawn again soon.

Ben

Fishpimpin73
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 01:48 AM
So sorry to hear that Ben.

Sucks when something like that happens.

We have all been there.

goldenpigeon
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 01:51 AM
WHY?! WHY?! :cry: :cry: :cry:

IT ISNT FAIR!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

how old were they?

kalebjarrod
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 02:03 AM
and i was getting excited by the offspring

next time mate, next time

Ben
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 02:16 AM
Cheers guys,
yep next time i will be ready! and so will the babies!
its just bad luck coz there were heaps of baby's!

Maybe it was that bad gill flukes that going around?
Has this happened to anyone else? same sort of problem?
Other than treat the parents what would be the best Medication/treatment to baby's of young age?

Ben

Merrilyn
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 02:59 AM
Ben, I've sent you a PM

Kaza
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 04:14 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, however I would want to know why. I have six week old fry and also 2 lots hatched this week. My questions to the experts and Ben are.
Did you have a UV on the tank? I have on my six week old fry and have had no problems.
Could it be the large amount of fry you had. Would seperating them into smaller lots, help prevent disease?

I noticed you feed BH, when I gave my four week old fry BH next mroning I lost two with bloat. I have only started to indroduce it again yesterday.

Did they get sick shortyl after you moved them into another tank, coould the stress have affected them. I moved the parents and left the babies in the tank they hatched in. But hard to do this with the numbersyou had.

I have heard of a number of people losing fry between 3- 8 weeks old, if gill flukes is a problem that kills quickly could we give a preventive treatment?

I wonder how many others have this or similar problems with fry. I know they breed again quite quickly but it doesnt help when you have put so much time and effort into raising them.

Ben
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 01:42 PM
Kaza,
Good questions. :)

When i moved them into a tank by them selves they were fine for about a week, as they got bigger, they got sick all of a sudden

The reason why i believe it to be flukes as they all went black, some were at the surface of the water and the other congregated in the corners of the tank, and a very high respiration movement of their gills. :cry:

I tried a few different things and separated them into 2 tanks. But still being so small and fragile they could not cope with the stress of flukes, and the other being in a new tank.

As for feeding BH mix, if some die of bloat it could be some sort of growth problem and their intestine have not developed properly...?

The best preventative is treating the parents for gill flukes so it can not be passed onto the young ones.
Something i did do about 6 weeks ago but i have had a lot of new fish come into my fish room, and have used the same siphon tube, net. This would have passed the flukes into the parents. (From one tank to another)
As the parents are able to cope with flukes they seem UN affected but the babies immune system is so low, when young it quickly takes over them!

I guess it is a learning experience and to be honest i am better for it! (Just a shame it was such a huge spawn) :idea:

As for using UV, i don’t in any of my tanks.
What do others think? Have they had the same problem? :?: :?: :?:

Ben

Dee
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 05:51 AM
Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear about your loss mate, that's a very rough blow :( I may be speaking out of term here, but i'll put my head on the chopping block ... If it was gill flukes wouldn't they have killed the fry earlier ? It's just a thought, hope I don't offend anyone. Regarding the UV ... it will only kill flukes that pass through it, not the ones on the fish. Could be good to reduce numbers and reinfestations (sp) after a treatment of Prazi or Sterazin. I have no experience with UV's yet, but am about too install a mega UV setup for my 4x2x2. Anyway just my thoughts ... :)

Cheers,

Dee :)

chrissyoscar
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 07:54 AM
That's real bad news Ben.
Hopefully some of the experienced breeders on this site can give you some good advise. Your pair are now experienced parents so it wont be long before you have more fry.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Oscar

Merrilyn
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 07:57 AM
You're not speaking out of turn at all Dee. Everyone is allowed to express their opinion freely here. Sharing is how we learn from each other.

There could have easily have been a small number of gill flukes living on the fry, but while they were with their parents, it wasn't a problem. The slight amount of stress they suffered from being netted and moved to another tank could have been enough to set it off.

It would take about a week for the fluke population to increase to sufficient numbers to be lethal to young fry.

This was an absolute tragedy Ben, and we all share your disappointment.

I think I speak for everyone, when I say we wish you success with your next spawn.

Ben
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 12:35 PM
Hi peoples,
First of all there is nothing wrong with your question Dee! My theroy is, (more fact than theroy)
Is that gill flukes cant infect a fish which is not that bigger than flukes it self.
As they got bigger the flukes were able to take over there gills, And bieng small they were not able to cope with the stress.

My Thanks goes out to everyone of concern and especially Merrilyn, Dee and Oscar, The pair are back to normal and should spawn within a week.
I guess it is only a set back by a month, but we all learn from our mistakes/problems.

But if anyone has any thoughts please by all means put them up here on the forum and lets discuss it so my misfortune wont happen to anyone else or at least they will be better prepared for it!

Thanks again everyone for your simpathy,

Ben

Dee
Mon Apr 25, 2005, 04:29 AM
Hi Ben and Merrilyn,

Thanks for the reply's and info, most appreciated. I didn't think of it like that ... now I know, so thanks again. Ben good luck with future spawns mate ... keep up the good work :D

Cheers,

Dee :)

sleeper
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 08:00 AM
Ben, it is very very nice blue....like them very much...and you got nice offsprings too...good on you, mate!!

Chen

goldenpigeon
Sat May 28, 2005, 11:45 PM
ben have you got anymore youngins yet?

Ben
Sun May 29, 2005, 04:46 AM
After treating heavilly with prazi on all my tanks the discus went off spawning for a few weeks, but i have a pair of BD with wrigglers atm and a new pair which formed, but only 2 little wrigglers, Dad is a brillant blue and mum is a red rose.

Ben