PDA

View Full Version : BLUE DIAMONDS

Ben
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:29 AM
here is a couple of pics.
I bought these guys a little bit bigger than a 50 cent piece about 10 months ago. They paired up in a 6foot tank. so i whipped them out and put them in a 4 foot tank by them selves. They have laid eggs twice and eaten them. This time i covered them like fort knox! Most of them when to fungus but this morning about 10 hatched and i can see wrigglers!

See what happens over the next couple of days!

I am soooo happy :lol: that they are a proven pair!
the female was trying to attack me as i was taking the some photos through the glass!

leanne31
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:35 AM
Congratulations :lol: Nice looking fish to hope it works out for you

Leanne

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 01:49 PM
Good luck with your fry :D

goldenpigeon
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 10:46 PM
good luck with the fry. yesterday i had a good look at 1 of my breeding pairs and found 3 little swimmers on them! THE SPAWN HAD BEEN EATEN 3 DAYS AGO!!!!! these are my first free swimmers! u might get some luck like me oneday with your blue diamonds.

Ben
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 11:23 PM
cheers guys and girls, thanks for the feedback.
I had a peek this morning and there are around 8 wrigglers. They should be free swimming soon.
see what happens. I might put another spawning cone in the tank as the pair might want to lay again.

cheers,
Ben

Ben
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 12:13 AM
On closer inspection there appeared to be only 4 wrigglers, i could see 2 wriggler skelatons. The parents did not seem that interested in the very few young so i removed the safety cage. Their parental instincts suddenly appeared and were looking for thier babies.

here are a couple more pics

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 02:26 AM
Nice shape on those BD's. Will you try without the cage next time?

Ben
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 02:35 AM
Thanks ladyred. I think i will cage the eggs, what do you think? I am tired of egg eating discus, even if they are a young pair. I guess to if i cage the eggs it tells me if any hatch that i have a proven pair and the male is fertile.
My theory is that its easy for females to lay eggs but its another story when the male does his little bit.
I spose there is pro's and con's with caging the eggs, maybe that could be why so many go fungus and the parents are not fanning the eggs and cleaning the dead ones.

cheers,
Ben

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 02:50 AM
Caging is probably a good idea, at least till they are a bit more mature anyway. Perhaps leave them uncaged after a few times actually raising their spawns. At least then they will (hopefully) know what it's all about.

DiscusMad
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:45 AM
I can't wait to breed some of mine I have othe species beed for me but I need more tanks and MORE DISCUS :)