PDA

View Full Version : Frresh water mussels

Kaza
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:44 AM
I went to one of the LFS today and brought 8 fresh water mussels, apparently they filter the water and put some type of foot into the gravel helping to keep it cleaner? Does anyone use them in discus tanks? You must have gravel for them to live in. Only one of my tanks has gravel in it and I have to say it is the one tank I have no trouble with and the fish are always laying. However I would like to cut the water changes down from twice a week to once a week.

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:52 AM
No I haven't used them in a discus tank. From what I understand, the problem with mussels is, it's difficult to tell if they are alive or dead. While they are alive, they're great, but when they are dead, they poison the water real quick.

leanne31
Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:13 AM
Just thought I'd ask you Karen how are your mussels going, have you noticed a difference in your water etc.

Leanne

mistakes r crucial
Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:49 PM
I used them in a Discus display tank a couple of years ago and never again. I think the heat of a Discus tank is too much for them and when they die without you noticing look out! Merrilyn's comment is exactly what happened to me, ammonia off the scale and the most foul smell you can imagine. They lasted a year or so in my son's tank at 24c as opposed to my 4-6 weeks.

More trouble than they're worth IMO.
MAC

Kaza
Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:35 PM
Well they are not doing any thing that I have noticed, but I think they can go in the outside goldfish pond, I dont want any trouble or ammonia.

fishyfish
Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:18 AM
G'day there, as far as i know mussles are cold water only,pretty much you are cooking them slowly untill they go off. They are great in a goldfish tank or a native coldwater.

cheers Jason