PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to set up a Discus tank at about 12" of the fl

nimbusv
Mon Mar 22, 2004, 09:28 PM
I have an iron tank stand that has space in the bottom to put up a second tank, will discus will be ok there? or is it better fr them to be in the high part of the stand??

Mattzilla
Mon Mar 22, 2004, 11:33 PM
they may be ok depending on how much traffic there is next to the tank. in general they do prefer the higher part racks or stands.

just think when you walk past a tank the part of your body moving the most is your legs...that will probably stress them the most

hth
matt

DiscusMan
Tue Mar 23, 2004, 12:09 AM
Just make sure when you are playing indoor soccer that you dont bounce the ball off the tank to much.

I have read that they prefer higher shelves. The breeders I have spoken to say that is doesn't matter what level they are at they still breed OK. Lower to upper shelf that is. I would say that not many breeders would have the tanks 1 foot off the floor thou.

Damn i can see you clening the tank on your hands and knees :lol: :lol:

I don't think fish have altitude meters built in so as long as matt says, you dont freak them out they should be fine.

Maybe this would be a good opportunity for you to get a really really big tank so you can have even more discus!

DiscusMan

nimbusv
Tue Mar 23, 2004, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the replies, i'll leave them in the top of the stand. (so i won't bother them with indoor soccer or mini golf)

Damn i can see you clening the tank on your hands and knees :lol: :lol:

I already do that since the tank i speak of is now filled with little Green terrors juveniles, but will be soon going to the LFS.

Maybe this would be a good opportunity for you to get a really really big tank so you can have even more discus!

How many discus could you fit in a 80 GL???

flukes
Tue Mar 23, 2004, 04:10 AM
10gal per ADULT discus... = 8....whats 80 gals?? 6x?x?

nimbusv
Tue Mar 23, 2004, 04:26 PM
10gal per ADULT discus... = 8....whats 80 gals?? 6x?x?

It's 48" x 20" x 20"

luvfishies
Wed Mar 24, 2004, 03:22 AM
Essayons had his on a lower rack, and they never quite got over being skittish until he moved them to more of an eye-level.

I've read and heard that they do NOT like being that close to the floor, at all.