PDA

View Full Version : DIY Vacuum

shrimp paste
Mon Mar 21, 2005, 07:37 AM
Anyone ever made their own vacuum? The only ones i have ever seen in the LFS are those with a hose on a long rigid tube. I am thinking it was easier to vacuum using the LFS variety in a planted tank than in my semi BB. It just cant get under and around the pots and drift wood whereas before it just sucked the sand in, even around those tuff spots. Using my net i can agitate and get a high percentage of the poops but vacuum is less harmfull than the net method as it throws everything up in the water colum.

I was thinking of using a spare filter oulet nosel (shovel \ spade shapped head) attached to a piece of clear flexi hose. That way i could bend and push it around pots and under drift wood etc.

Has anyone else got this problem or even better, a proven solution?

Thanks for your advise.

Dave76
Mon Mar 21, 2005, 08:15 AM
I use two - one the stock standard rigid variety for the majority of the cleaning - the second was a stock standard one that I heated using a heat gun and bent so that it has a curved end of about 70degrees.

It is great for getting underneath things - just be careful you don't undermine driftwood / rocks etc if others are resting on top of them - I had a nice little avalanche - luckily no one got squished - all my rocks are now siliconed together so it doesn't happen again.

Regards

Dave

shrimp paste
Tue Mar 22, 2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks Dave,

That's a pretty good idea...