PDA

View Full Version : Shell Grit

chris
Sun Mar 20, 2005, 10:12 AM
Hi Im just interested, in finding out what you other Discus owners use to maintain a steady PH. My PH always turns highly acidic,
I would love to keep it in the green maybe at 6.0.
Is it possible with shell grit.
My LFS owner, said to buy trill shell grit for birds.
Chuck maybe a spoon full of grit in the corner of the tank or in the filter.
How much do I use :?:
How long does it work :?:
Is it usefull :?:

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 20, 2005, 01:09 PM
Adding shell grit will add calcium to the tank and help buffer the pH by making the water harder. Ideal for a grow out tank or display tank, but not for a breeding tank.

I use a good handfull of shell grit in all my non-spawning tanks. Melbourne water is very soft, and there is always danger of a pH crash. Replace it every couple of months.

lesley
Mon Mar 21, 2005, 08:23 AM
Hi Ladyred,

so how do you handle the problem in your breeding tanks, water changes only??

I am going to try shellgrit, I am sick of unstable water!!! Good to hear that it works.

Lesley

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 21, 2005, 10:00 AM
Breeding tanks get daily water changes, so it's not a problem. Just make the transition slowly from harder water to softer water if you want to to put pairs in breeding tanks.

chris
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:57 AM
Hi merrilyn would you say a heaped teaspoon in a 5X2X2 semi planted tank would be enough :?:
How long would it last :?:
Can I use the shell grit for budgies :?:

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:16 AM
Any kind of shellgrit is fine. I would use a good handful and sees how that goes. You can always add more if necessary.

Ben
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 07:45 AM
Just out of interest.....
Could broken cuttle fish be used in a aquarium with baby discus?
I guess it would be more for calcium than PH.
Has anyone tried cuttlefish in thier tanks?

cheers,
Ben

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:00 PM
Never tried it. Cuttlefish floats, so might be a bit of a drawback. The shellgrit just seems easier.

Proteus
Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:55 PM
I know a few people that throw a bag of cleaned oyster shells in there filters... apparently it helps with the pH and thats about it.