PDA

View Full Version : where can i get Potassium Nitrate?

anti-generic
Sat Mar 19, 2005, 03:11 AM
I was told to put a little bit (5ppm) of Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
into my planted tank to control the brushy hair algea?

can i get it in any LFS?
Has anyone tried using this B4?

Regards
Eric

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 19, 2005, 09:06 AM
Eric, potassium nitrate KNO3 also known as saltpetre, is both a skin and eye irritant, so I can't imagine it would do your fish any good.

It is really just another form of nitrate which will act as fertilizer for your plants, but I've never heard of it being used to control hair algae.

goldenpigeon
Sat Mar 19, 2005, 09:22 AM
hi eric, i am friends with the folks at G n S aquarium on the gold coast and they have the same problem you have with the black hair algae. they are useing a pond treatment in their tank at the moment. this medication gets rid of the sludge on the bottom of ponds by starving the algae somehow (in other words i forgot what it was). THIS WORKS!! and it doesnt cause any harm to fish or plants! may i suggest you call them up and just ask what they are using and see if u can get the product in sydney. trust me they have tried anything to get rid of it and they can back this product up with their own experience!

anti-generic
Sat Mar 19, 2005, 10:04 AM
thanks for the information.

i tried asking my LFS today to see if they had any..
but the just looked at me like i was stupid..

but i guess its not worth the trial then.

goldenpideon do u know the name of that pond treatment? or what brand it came from.?

thanks again for your reply

Regards
Eric

goldenpigeon
Sat Mar 19, 2005, 10:31 AM
hi eric,
no i dont know the name but i can definetly get it for u. i could find out personally but it might take untill tuesday at the latest thoagh.
if u want you can just log on to:

www.gnsaquarium.com.au

or if their phone number isnt on that PM me and ill give it 2 u :)

duck
Sat Mar 19, 2005, 11:33 AM
What are your nitrate and phosphate readings?
How much light have you got?
You got CO2?
What size is your tank?
Basic run down.
Your Nitrate bottom's out then you have phosphate not getting used and wolla possible BBA.
So that is why you need to maybe increase the KNO3 or maybe reduce your phosphate's or increase lighting or decrease or increase your CO2.

DR.V
Sat Mar 19, 2005, 12:07 PM
Hello, I had the same proble as u before, but not anymore. What i did was reduce the lighting time by 3-4 hours shorter than u usually do ( i use timer for all my lights so its easy to controll ) and also using UV Sterilizer. My tank is 450L and im using 16Watt sterilizer.

Ben
Sat Mar 19, 2005, 12:16 PM
dont they make bombs with that stuff??

kalebjarrod
Sun Mar 20, 2005, 02:27 AM
yes Pottasium Nitrate is used in the manucature of various bomb's includeing home made gun powder

pottasium nitrate is now on a new list of fertizlers that have a sercurity code on them

i am unsure if it would be sold evern in small qty's

i could be wrong about purchase but i am right about its abuse :wink: