PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the tubes on canister filters

Kaza
Fri Mar 18, 2005, 05:27 AM
every three or four weeks I have to clean the canister tubes, and in the process crap goes back into the tank. Surely they should go longer between cleans. Its quite a job when you are doing 12 filters. Any hints for making it easier?

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 18, 2005, 08:22 AM
Karen, I leave mine for three months between cleaning :shock:

ml29
Fri Mar 18, 2005, 08:24 AM
The way I get around that is to not clean them that often, in fact I haven't really cleaned the tubes yet. It still works fine although it probably loses some flow rate but nothing noiceable.

goldenpigeon
Fri Mar 18, 2005, 08:46 AM
i need to clean mine and havnt actually thaught about it. how do u clean them?

kalebjarrod
Fri Mar 18, 2005, 09:36 AM
why do you clean them?

Mattzilla
Fri Mar 18, 2005, 03:20 PM
i have never cleaned them...don't really think they need it

Kaza
Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:16 PM
I have prefilter sponges on all my canister intake tubes, twice a week I change 40% of the water and wash the intake filters. When you take them off there is a surge of water into the tank, this washes gross stuff into the tank, from the tubes. If no body else has to clean their tubes regularly maybe it is something in the water, the only additives I add to the water is the geo liquid and PH down.

Mattzilla
Sat Mar 19, 2005, 12:28 AM
you will always get an algea build up in your tubes and yeah it does spirt into the tank sometimes but it's fine...it won't harm your fish or anything

N*A*M
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 12:17 AM
to clean my hoses, i twist up a piece of fabric and jam it in the tube. then i connect the tube to a tap and turn the water on strong. the wad of fabric comes out the other end eventually. i repeat a few times until i'm happy with the cleanliness. it'll never be fully clean but all the loose stuff gets dislodged. hth.

jim
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 01:16 AM
just get bigger.wider tube....and you won't need to wash it for 1 year...

DR.V
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 06:31 AM
if you dont wash it the waterflow will be reduced

Ben
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 06:49 AM
I have never cleaned my tubing or thought about it! but one of those bottle brush cleaners would work, you could use the brush in the same way n*a*m mentioned.

Ben

chris
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 06:51 AM
Same here Ben, that stuff that comes out my fish eat it sometimes :!:

DR.V
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 06:58 AM
when it gets really dirty, it doesnt look really nice , and i can't be bothred cleaning it, i just buy a new tubes ^^

Bronx19
Thu Jun 09, 2005, 07:31 AM
You can buy a long wire handle with a brush on the end from aquarium stores.

I do it every now and then, but you cant see my tubes so it doesnt bother me.

DR.V
Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:13 AM
yeah yeah , just hide it, or wrap it with something so u dont see it :P