PDA

View Full Version : Critique

Monolicious
Sat Apr 30, 2011, 11:16 PM
Hi All,

I picked this pair up last night, I could only get 1 good pic though.

What do you all think ?

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PeterMizzi/My%20Fish/Discus001.jpg

scott bowler
Sun May 01, 2011, 01:42 AM
they look awesome , the colour at this point looks good and the shape to eye size is very good too. but i would like to have a look at some other pics to give you a true critque , but i would love to have fish like that in my tank, were did you get them ?
Monolicious i will say they will most likely loss some of there colour good luck with them scott

Exotic Aquatic
Sun May 01, 2011, 02:14 AM
Well done mono!
they are nice.
Funny angle to judge body length and head shape, but from this shot they look great.
If Scott likes them, your on a good thing!:D

Monolicious
Sun May 01, 2011, 05:34 AM
Cheers Scott,
I purchased them both from Nick at Sydney Discus World.
He has some amazing Discus in the shop at the moment and I plan to get a pair of Penang eruptions of him next week.

they look awesome , the colour at this point looks good and the shape to eye size is very good too. but i would like to have a look at some other pics to give you a true critque , but i would love to have fish like that in my tank, were did you get them ?
Monolicious i will say they will most likely loss some of there colour good luck with them scott

Monolicious
Sun May 01, 2011, 05:39 AM
Cheers Bro,
I will try to get some better pics soon.

Well done mono!
they are nice.
Funny angle to judge body length and head shape, but from this shot they look great.
If Scott likes them, your on a good thing!:D

Monolicious
Sun May 01, 2011, 05:46 AM
Ok Guys here are few better pics.
Both fish seem to have settled in to their new tank and both are eating beefheart and Discus Pelets today.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PeterMizzi/My%20Fish/Discus006.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PeterMizzi/My%20Fish/Discus005.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PeterMizzi/My%20Fish/Discus004.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PeterMizzi/My%20Fish/Discus003.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PeterMizzi/My%20Fish/Discus001-1.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PeterMizzi/My%20Fish/Discus002.jpg

Exotic Aquatic
Sun May 01, 2011, 06:16 AM
thats better.

Great color, shape is a bit off, but overall nice!

SLS
Sun May 01, 2011, 07:06 AM
Hey Pete,

Thanks for coming in today.

Those fish are Super Red Alenquers - different to the fish we were discussing today.

These fish are usually understated when young but grow to have beautiful deep red colour.

Kind regards,
George

Monolicious
Sun May 01, 2011, 07:16 AM
Cheers for the comment, Do you care to inform me as to what could be better with the shape of the fish so I know what to look for with my next purchase..

thats better.

Great color, shape is a bit off, but overall nice!

Monolicious
Sun May 01, 2011, 07:18 AM
It was great to meet you also George.
Thanks for spending the time with a Discus Noob such as myself.

Hey Pete,

Those fish are Super Red Alenquers - different to the fish we were discussing today.

These fish are usually understated when young but grow to have beautiful deep red colour.

Kind regards,
George

Exotic Aquatic
Sun May 01, 2011, 07:41 AM
Ill leave it to Scott to provide a more in depth analysis if thats what your after, his very good.

In all honesty its SO HARD to find perfection these days i wouldnt worry too much, just look for a fish that is as round as possible. Avoid beaky or humped head shapes. The fins should have a nice even progression without any overly defined or bent/misshapen or extra long/short hard rays. also the fins should arc evenly without any flat/straight areas.

Again mate you have beautiful fish, i really wouldnt worry too much, you have good taste!!!

Monolicious
Mon May 02, 2011, 04:12 AM
I believe they are San Merah George.
I could be wrong as I am a noob when it comes to Discus.

Hey Pete,

Kind regards,
George

swampy1972
Mon May 02, 2011, 07:10 AM
I got a pair if these from Nick ages ago - they look identical to the ones I had. Beautiful fish and definately underestimated..
Great buy ;)

Mattzilla
Mon May 02, 2011, 07:43 AM
stunning fish!

SLS
Mon May 02, 2011, 10:49 AM
Hey Pete,

Variants bred from the Alenquer line:
Super Red
San Merah
Rose Red
Red Cover
and prob more..

Although these names are much the same, those having a more profound marking of blue rings through the dorsal and anal fin were referred to as San Merah.

To help identify varients of discus, Matin Ng published the Discus Catalogue assigning codes to colour varients. Background details are provided to show origin of colour breds from crossing and line breeding, including the year each mutation in colour form was discovered and where.

Kind regards,
George

Monolicious
Mon May 02, 2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks George,

I have so much to learn about these beautiful fish.

Do you have these books at SLS and if so whats the price.

Rgards

Peter

Hey Pete,

Variants bred from the Alenquer line:
Super Red
San Merah
Rose Red
Red Cover
and prob more..

Although these names are much the same, those having a more profound marking of blue rings through the dorsal and anal fin were referred to as San Merah.

To help identify varients of discus, Matin Ng published the Discus Catalogue assigning codes to colour varients. Background details are provided to show origin of colour breds from crossing and line breeding, including the year each mutation in colour form was discovered and where.

Kind regards,
George

Monolicious
Mon May 02, 2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks Swampy

Nich does have some stunning fish in the shop at the moment.
As does George at SLS

I got a pair if these from Nick ages ago - they look identical to the ones I had. Beautiful fish and definately underestimated..
Great buy ;)

Monolicious
Mon May 02, 2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks Mat

stunning fish!

huyey
Wed May 04, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hey Peter,

Long time no speak, didnt know you were into discus. Always thought you were the tankbuster type. LOL

They look like wonderful discus and a great purchase!

Cheers,
Huy

SLS
Wed May 04, 2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks George,

I have so much to learn about these beautiful fish.

Do you have these books at SLS and if so whats the price.

Rgards

Peter

Yep, sure do. $85ea. Includes a free wall poster.

Monolicious
Thu May 05, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hi Huy,.

How have you been buddy.
Yeh well we all know I love my tank busters but after being successfull with breeding my stingray I thought I might give the Discus a go, I must say that for a small fish these guys are truly beautiful.

Hey Peter,

Long time no speak, didnt know you were into discus. Always thought you were the tankbuster type. LOL

They look like wonderful discus and a great purchase!

Cheers,
Huy

huyey
Thu May 05, 2011, 11:45 PM
Hi Peter,

They are little when they small, but grow out to be dinner plate sizes..hehehh

You can get some tankbuster size discus too, Adrian from Exotic Aquatic on the forum is selling some big "Giant Flora" discus at the moment, imported from Malaysia. These grow huge to about 8" or bigger!!!! Its not Giant Gourami size but its still pretty big. :lol:

Cheers,
Huy