PDA

View Full Version : My new ALTUMS!!!!!

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 16, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hi every one just want to post some photos of my new tank bred adult Altum's that Adrian from Exotic Aquatic and Ravi were nice enough to send me.

Thay are in a quarentine tank now (4x2x16 tall) and have settled in VERY well hopefully i'll be able to get the buggers to spawn once i move them into their new home a 5x2.5x2.5.

packaging was EXCELLENT no DOA's just 6 MASSI|VE fish each in double bags.

yes in the photos are some of Exotic aquatics neon blue rams.

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 16, 2011, 12:19 PM
more

Exotic Aquatic
Sun Apr 17, 2011, 04:34 AM
Stunning mate! im so happy you like them:D

and thank you for your kind words, much appreciated.

Posts like this make the hard work all worthwhile.

Dont forget us when you've bred them!:P

Let me know if you need more, there are 4-6 left there that i havent advertised anywhere (besides here a few days ago) yet.

Kindest Regards,
Adrian.

Tardis
Sun Apr 17, 2011, 04:59 AM
WOW They are really awesome I just love Altums.
Good luck I hope they breed for you.

Mattzilla
Sun Apr 17, 2011, 05:50 AM
niiiiiiiiiice

looking forward to coming over and seeing them in the flesh

scoob
Sun Apr 17, 2011, 07:15 AM
Stunning fish Illusn, hope they breed for you may be I can buy some fry of you :)

Cheers
Mike

Sloany
Sun Apr 17, 2011, 01:13 PM
Awsome looking fish Illusn. Absolute stunners!
Thanks for sharing.

BT Gunner
Thu Apr 21, 2011, 11:29 PM
Can't see the photos?

BT Gunner
Thu Apr 21, 2011, 11:29 PM
I can now. Didnt realise I wasnt logged in.

syxx
Mon May 02, 2011, 12:43 AM
awesome fish, certainly another one of the fish on my wish list :)

Merrilyn
Wed May 04, 2011, 11:32 AM
Glad to see you've come over to the dark side :blob2

Well done mate.

:wave1

olsen3219
Thu May 05, 2011, 08:19 AM
really nice fish mate, good with them

ILLUSN
Fri May 06, 2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys these fish are great!

Merrilyn I'm not too sure they are as high a grade as yours though, mine seem to have more broken bars, i'm sure they'll throw some nice fry but its a trait i'll have to keep an eye on. How are your wilds? Have you noticed any diffrence in the fin shape between your wilds and the captive bred adults you got off Ravi?

Merrilyn
Sat May 07, 2011, 04:32 PM
The wilds certainly have longer dorsal and anal fins as well as ventrals. I put this down to them being in a deeper tank, but I think the captive bred are slowly catching up.

The broken bars seems to be a problem with most tank bred altums. Not sure why. Maybe something to do with a shallow tank ???? Someone suggested on another site that parent raised altums have compete bars, but those taken from the parents before they hatch had incomplete bars. Go figure???

Exotic Aquatic
Sat May 07, 2011, 11:23 PM
i have 4 of these left ILLUSN, let me know if you want them as its a shame to split these up if there is future breeding potential here.

ILLUSN
Sat May 07, 2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the offer Adrian, the tank is only 5x2.5x2.5 so I don't want to over stock it as it is they will have to share with 5 leucosticas so that's 11 largish fish in the system. Assuming they get Afro when they spawn like regular angels I don't think the tank will be big enough for another 4.

Also the end goal is to cross a tank red female with a wild male to try and correct some of the less desirable traits so I need to leave room for that as well

ILLUSN
Sat May 07, 2011, 11:51 PM
The wilds certainly have longer dorsal and anal fins as well as ventrals. I put this down to them being in a deeper tank, but I think the captive bred are slowly catching up.

The broken bars seems to be a problem with most tank bred altums. Not sure why. Maybe something to do with a shallow tank ???? Someone suggested on another site that parent raised altums have compete bars, but those taken from the parents before they hatch had incomplete bars. Go figure???

Interesting that fry kept with parents have fuller bars maybe mum and dad pick off the less desirables as they develop. I assume that any fish that stands out from the crowd would be quickly removed in the wild.