PDA

View Full Version : Does salt improve breeding rates

jim from sydney
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 03:22 AM
I believe that some breeders introduce salt in the water when angels have laid eggs and keep this procedure during the early stages of fry free swimming. They claim better spawning rates. If so how much and type of salt should be used????
If this is to control bad bacteria should the PH be lowered as well??
I am a little worried about too much salt in the water changes.

Exotic Aquatic
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 04:12 AM
Gday Jim!

I always recommend keeping things natural, however if you have tried this and are having problems you can try one of the salt/diluted methalene blue/UV sterilizer methods... Usually though 'frosted' or rotting eggs are a problem that has a lot more to do with the males milt, or aim!

First i would address this before adding anything, as stable conditions are best! Here are a few tips:

1/try replacing the breeding cone or choice of egg laying substrate to one of smaller size. This will concentrate the eggs and give the male a more specific target.

2/ reduce water flow in the tank. a good way to test flow (when there are no eggs in the tank!) is to get a pipette or dropper full of geo liquid or meth blue and release it near where they usually lay... Watch the dye/geo move through the water, this simulates the males milt. If it drifts away or dissipates too fast we know what the issue is, and can EASILY fix it!
-to fix just aim your filter out-flow for all of your outlets toward a rear wall, and slightly upward. Test again. Repeat until your home free. (geo liquid works best and is benign in your tank).

another neato trick is to add a younger male, this will encourage your stud to show off & do his best!
If trouble occurs you can always separate with a clear divider, the effect remains.

Hope this helps, questions welcome!

Kind Regards,
Exotic Aquatic

jim from sydney
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 04:29 AM
good advice thanks Exotic Aquatic.

However eggs laid 2 days ago. So better not change normal routine I guess, hence no salt to be added at this stage. Just plenty of water changes.

Thanks again

Exotic Aquatic
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 06:11 AM
an absolute pleasure Jim, Good luck mate...keep us posted:D

Red Tail Shark
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:32 AM
i believe to much salt can make the eggs tougher to fertilze thus counter productive to getting a good spawn

Cheers RTS

jim from sydney
Sat Apr 02, 2011, 07:02 AM
i believe to much salt can make the eggs tougher to fertilze thus counter productive to getting a good spawn

Cheers RTS
Hi RTS

Thanks for that note, What I meant was

""I believe that some breeders introduce salt in the water when angels have laid eggs""

The adding of salt is after the eggs have been fertilised, not before. However , daddy ate all eggs after 1 day. But for next time the question still stands.