PDA

View Full Version : Changing filters

leanne31
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 06:56 AM
Hi all Believe it or not I still run a otto internal filter in my 4 ft tank with 8 juvies ranging in size from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches in size, while I have no problems with ammonia etc or illnesses I would like to upgrade to a canister filter as they are getting a lot bigger. Can I just add this to the tank as is with my other filter running as well and how long should I leave the internal in for while I do this :?: Thanks guys :lol:

Leanne

goldenpigeon
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 07:20 AM
i have done this before. all i did was keep the original filter running and put ur new 1 in and just run it for about 4 weeks. if you really felt like it add this filter and dont remove the other one. this will give you better filteration. if there is allot of current put a spray bar on it.

David

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 07:26 AM
Good advice David.

leanne31
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 07:31 AM
Thanks David I might just keep the other filter running as well as I want to add a couple more discus to the tank so the more filteration the better i suppose antil I can get my 6 ft going. Thanks again

Leanne :lol:

goldenpigeon
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 08:03 AM
thats alright Leanne :D

u might as well keep it running. unless you have another tank you want to add this filter to. it would be an excellent waste of good bacteria :cry: :cry: and by the sounds of it this is a well cycled filter. :D

David :D

Dave76
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 08:16 AM
Not sure whether or not you can pull the filter media out of your otto and stick it into the cannister filter as well as the other media - this way if you need a cycled filter in a hurry, just pull the media out of the cannister & plug it back in the otto - instant cycled filter :D

Regards

Dave

leanne31
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 08:17 AM
Very well cycled its been going for about 3 years now it used to filter my turtle then my tropicals and now my discus. I want to get a 6ft in a couple of months so I'll keep it going for now then add it to my 6ft to help cycle it.

Leanne

leanne31
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 08:23 AM
Yeah I dont know about that Dave as I not familar with canisters never owned one yet but I know my otto just holds 2 sponges in it so I dont know if I can put them in a canister. :?

Leanne