PDA

View Full Version : pH Question

iamking
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:33 AM
I have had my BD pair in a standard 4ft for around a month now. Everything is going good and the pH is around 6.5-6.8. I have to use pH down to get the pH down from around 8.0-8.2 everytime i do a water change. I heard that it is better to keep the pH constant then it going up and down slightly. Would i be able to slowly bring them upto my 8.0-8.2? It is to high isn't it?

If i can't does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get the pH down besides adding pH down? Or a better way for me to get the pH constant for the discus?

Thanks, Any help is appreciated

Matt

pitchblack
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 10:38 AM
You can use peat moss. You can buy it from most good garden shops its drops ypur ph. But also check the ph of your tap water before adding it??? Also are you using any buffers that cause the ph to rise so high

iamking
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 12:24 PM
The pH of my tap water is 8.0-8.2 . Already have some peat in there aswell :D

weird
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 01:12 PM
Keeping PH constant is definitely best. Tank bred discus can do extremely well a quite different ph, and while my experience is not as rich as some very experienced members here, I have even seen them successfully breed at higher ph. Becareful about adding more 'moving parts' to your system.

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:32 AM
Your fish will live quite happily at a pH fo 8 or 8.2 but it depends on what you want to do. Are you hoping to breed them, in that case you will certainly need to get the pH down to around 7, but if you are just happy to keep them in a display tank, your tap water will be fine.

As always with any fish, make the changes very slowly, over a couple of days, or your fish will suffer pH shock.

iamking
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 04:38 AM
I am definetly going to try and breed so it looks like i will have to keep doing what i am doing. Looking at setting up a discus display tanks so atleast i know they will be happy in my pH

Thanks for the replys, Matt