PDA

View Full Version : people who keep discus

goldenpigeon
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:56 AM
hi all :D ,
i am curious to know the age of most people who keep discus. i have never met any1 under 19 who has discus. i am almost 14 (on 22/03/05) :D

please dont reply if you dont want to. im only curious

David

BlackGhost
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 04:14 AM
Im only 15 and getting my discus tank in the near future. I dont think it is as hard as every one says as i look after them at work not 2 hard. But i guess i dont really get much of a say as i dont "keep" them yet.

goldenpigeon
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 06:25 AM
kool where do u work?

David

weird
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:17 AM
BlackGhost u don't work at an LFS do you, that is cheating u know ;)

I am too old for this thread, sorry for jumping in.

goldenpigeon
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:22 AM
lol thats ok weird :lol:
i just posted this thread to get an idea of who is out there an idea of whos out there cause i dont no that many fish hobyists

David

weird
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 10:52 AM
I know how u feel David, and it is a real pain when I go on holidays. I picked up the bug of fish keeping almost 2 years now (gee time flies) when I went and visited my family-in-law in Jakarta, and the new husband of the oldest daughter had transformed a once cosey sitting room (I knew 5 years ago) into an aquarium ... about 8 large tanks ... after that I was hooked but none of my friends have the same hobby (sort of converted one but him and his mrs seem more interested in suculents...hoo hum).

goldenpigeon
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 08:54 PM
lol :lol:

was the sitting room any cosier??? :lol: sorry i missed it was this when you got hooked on fish for the first time?

David

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:36 AM
That's the wonderful thing with fish keeping. Age is no barrier. You can be a teenager, or just on the right side of 100. It doesn't matter. We are all here cos we love our fish and want to learn more. This is just the best hobby anyone can have.

goldenpigeon
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 06:10 AM
true ladyred,
for me fish keeping is my favorite hobby i have ever had as well as breeding birds (i do that aswell). it is definetly true that age doesnt matter. i am so glad i found this forum, it is great talking to people who share your interests. i like being able to hear about what is happening out there in the discus and fish world, and descovering more about the fab fish we have. :)

David

Aurora
Tue Mar 15, 2005, 06:42 AM
I was going to say the same thing, most of the people I see at the fish shop are older. Im 22 and dont see many people my age interested in fish. At 14 I imagine you would see even less. But then I guess this is a pretty expensive hobby too, so it would be hard to afford it when you are younger.

goldenpigeon
Tue Mar 15, 2005, 07:15 AM
very true aurora,
i have only seen young people in fish shops ever when they are buying a gold fish. i have never seen any1 (young) even buy a bunch of tetras! and true it is quite expensive but my secret is look around and find out who is in your area via news paper classifieds or buy other means. i personally buy the personal trading post each week even if i am not a potential buyer. i have a number in my cupboard for a guy who is making and selling fish tanks who i have not even called yet and this number was from the paper 2 months ago. this is for all you sticky beaks he is doing 2ft - 18in -18in (breeding size for me) for $40 also custom tanks. also find a lfs you can trust and become a regular there, there for you may get discounts.

nomatter how good a price is there is someone esle who can beat it, like a lfs that will beat any price by 10% or is that bunnings :lol: :lol: :lol:

David