PDA

View Full Version : worming

leanne31
Sat Mar 12, 2005, 07:48 AM
People talk about routine worming I was just thinking are you able to just add it to their food instead of the whole tank if u dont suspect worms but do do it periodically like your cat and your dog.

Leanne

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 12, 2005, 08:50 AM
I think routine worming is important, at least every six months or more often if you are breeding. or feeding live blackworms. The only difficulty I can see adding it to food, is you can't control how much each fish is getting. Too little and the worms could become resistant without being killed off.

Be great if we could give them a tablet, like we do for our dogs and cats, but how are you gonna get them to jump on the scales :lol:

leanne31
Sat Mar 12, 2005, 09:09 AM
very funny but to true I'll just stick to the water way then :lol:

Leanne

leanne31
Tue Mar 22, 2005, 10:52 AM
Wanted to ask a question on worming so I thought I'd add it to my previous post. I have catfish as in corydoras and bristlenoses in my tank I have some aquamaster tape and fluke tablets but have heard they might kill my catfish as I've grown fond to my bn I dont want them to die so can anyone suggest another medication that is as good that wont harm them. Thanks :lol:

Leanne

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 22, 2005, 11:11 AM
The Aquamaster package says to use with caution in tanks containing catfish. Due to the fact that cats are bottom dwellers, they can get a stronger dose of medication if the tablets are not fully dissolved.

You could remove your catfish while treating the tank, and return them after a 50% water change. That might help.

leanne31
Tue Mar 22, 2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks Merrilyn I have a small 1foot plastic tank do you think 4 bn and 2 corys will be alright in there for a couple of days with a heater and airstone

Leanne

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 22, 2005, 11:22 AM
They'll be fine for that length of time. Keep a tight lid on the tank, and do a daily water change. Something for them to hide in would make them feel more secure.