PDA

View Full Version : Purigen regenration review

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 27, 2010, 10:45 AM
As most of you know I'm not a fan of absorbtive filtration. My belief is thay water changes are the way to go as absrobitive filtration removes too many usefull elements such as.

ions
vitamins
amino acids
trace elements and minerals
tannins

water changes on the other hand restore trace elemts to the system as well dilute organic waste and remove nitrate.

This being said there are situations where waterchanges just arnt possible or fesable eg going on holidays, or super overstocked tanks where the nitrates buld to over 50ppm within 24 hours. in such a system an absorptive medium should be used.

The most common is activated carbon which is very efficient at striping the water of everything, the problem is once saturated compounds bound to the carbon can be released if another compond with a higher affinity is present.

mixed resins such as chemi zorb and chemi pure combine high grade active carbon with a resin that stops these elements from bein released (ie once released from the carbon they are absorbed by the resin).

These products are VERY good at what they do and are a little less harsh on trace elements than pure carbon, however they still depleat over time and need to be replaced every 3-6 months, in the long run this can get expensive.

Seachem released 2 products hypersorb and purigen to address this, both are 100% synthetic polymers manufactured into tiny beads, the surface of these beads has a very high affinity for nitrogenous waste (ammonia NO2 and NO3) as well as organic compounds with minimal afinity for trace elements. Of the 2 products purigen has a higher efficiency (and hence price). The real bonus with this system is the claim that it can be regenerated over and over again, So I thought I'd test it.

The procedure is to mix water and bleach in a 1 to 1 ratio and soak over night (up to 24hours) then rinse with water neutrilize the bleach with prime (or other water ager), soak in a solution of acid buffer (or salt if used for marine fish) and your good to go.

they do state that some products might foul purigen and make regeneration "difficult"

The TEST:

on my main tank I've been running 500ml of purigen for just over a year and its saturated it took 4 washes in a bucket of tap water just to get all the mulm out of it. all up it took 4 bleach tratements but the results were astounding.

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 27, 2010, 10:51 AM
after the 4th treatment we were done.

the instructions say to rinse well and soak in 2 tablespoons of prime/L of water. DO NOT USE if the chlorine smell remains.

I used a 1/4 tsp of SAFE (powdered prime) in 1L of water and repeated it just to be safe.

once done i added 2 tablespoons of discus buffer to a liter of water and let it sit over night before storage.

interesting to note that of 500ml of purigen i started with i reclaimed ~430ml, some of the purigen had been ground fine and was too light to settle and so was lost. this is more my failing then the product as i really should have done this months ago

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 27, 2010, 10:52 AM
I put the purigen back into use on the 26th of December and its working VERY wel its already turning brown so its taking care of all the garbage the biofilter cant.

taksan
Mon Dec 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
I just buy it in 20 liter buckets and chuck it out

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 27, 2010, 01:12 PM
LMAO no worries mate to be honest the last time I tried to regenerate it was when I shut down the old lifeguard 900 I never bothered to finish it and just chucked the lot.

I just wanted to see how hard it would be lol.

Still you gotta admit with a bit of work it really does come up like new hats off to seachem

taksan
Tue Dec 28, 2010, 05:27 AM
I used to regenerate it years ago but we found after regeneration it doesn't last as long so I just give it to Ben or someone who regenerates it I guess.

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 28, 2010, 06:23 AM
I guess that's to be expected as regeneration involves oxidizing away the bound contaminants each bead would shrink with each regeneration smaller beads have smaller surface area and would therefore deplete faster. This would also explain the super fine superlight granuals that would not settle after regeneration and my loss of product volume.

taksan
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 03:53 AM
BTW ...can you explain WTF Purigen IS .......
I know it works but I've got no idea why or how it works

ILLUSN
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 04:37 AM
You sure you want the answer?

I's a synthetic polymer (basicly a plastic) certain plastics are "sticky" they have a natural tendancy due to their molecular structure to form "pockets" (just like carbon but in carbon the "pockets" are formed my the lattice of the carbon atoms)

Diffrent substances bind to these pockets in the case of purigen its affinty (positive attraction) is for nitrogen and organic based waste products.

This is the same as micro particals of plastic in the ocean that bind pollutants, these particals are eaten by small zooplankton and the concentrations of toxins increase as you move up the food chain due to the presence of these tiny particals of plastic in the fish (the zooplankton think they look like juvinle coral polyps floating in the current).

The regeneration involves oxidation (burning caused by the loss of electrons to clorine atoms) of the pollutants bound to the plastic, as these substances are striped I assume part of the outer layer (edges of the pockets) are removed as well, this would be why the granuals became smaller (and hence lighter) and why you observed that it fouls faster with each regeneration.

BettaBetta
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have about x 25 100ml bags of Purigen. 1 x 100ml bag does 400L. Warning, if you don't use their media bag or pre-made sachet, you stand the chance of having your tank look like a snowball (is that what you call those toys you shake?)

Some bags have been regenerated around 6 times & still going strong. Personally I find that White King Bleach (far, far thicker & stronger) works a whole lot better than the cheaper products.

We really only use it for it's water polishing capabilities, the fish look like they're floating in air when Purigen is used. The other properties of it are just a great bonus.

Prices can vary from $32 a sachet down to $9.99 (that was a super once-only sale from a Qld pet centre) but it can generally be found for around $15 if you look hard :)

ILLUSN
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 10:11 PM
Due you also find that purigen fouls faster post regeneration? 6 uses from 1 satchel is great news. Due you notice any loss of volume? As in do your sachets look less full after regeneration?

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 11:21 PM
I have regenerated a purigen bag a half dozen times ans it had lost about 1/3 its mass IMO. It fouled quicker as there was less of it.

BettaBetta
Thu Dec 30, 2010, 02:23 AM
Yes, most definitely a loss of volume the more it is regenerated - that's quite handy when you're dealing with as many sachets as I am, it helps to distinguish oldest, old'ish', new'ish' :)