PDA

View Full Version : i finally get a spawning pair and they.....

Mattzilla
Sun Mar 06, 2005, 11:36 AM
are lesbians!!!!!!

hahhahaa

just my luck...after about 2 years i finally get a spawning pair....that is great right??? well i caught them in the act tonight for the first time only to discover that they are both female and where both laying aggs at the same time (and still are). they decided to lay eggs on the glass of the tank right next to the brand new breeding cone i made them only a day ago....once again...hahhahahaa

i have a few questions....
1. should i buy a proven male and add to the tank?
2. should i then remove one of the females or leave them both?
3. one female is laying clear eggs and the other is laying reddish eggs.....what does that mean? is one better than the other?

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
matt

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 06, 2005, 11:58 AM
Aaaaagh Matt - noooo. Well there is one good thing to be said. At least you know the sex of THOSE two fish :x .

Red melons seem to generally lay bright orange eggs. Don't know why. All mine are fed the same diet, and the melons lay darker eggs than the blue diamonds :roll:

Proven males are expensive, but Kev might be able to pick one for you. Leave him with just one female, or you might find those two girls drive him away. There's a good chance they will pair bond and give you fry.

Mattzilla
Sun Mar 06, 2005, 12:31 PM
the red melon is the one laying the clear eggs....it's the white/pink that is laying the red eggs

Mattzilla
Sun Mar 06, 2005, 12:33 PM
and both fish are fed same diet

does colour reflect on fertility or anything like that??